Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Would you drop a session?

Default Would you drop a session?

My DS2 is 10 months on Saturday. I pump 3x at work but have noticed a drop in output since the return of AF and him liking finger foods more and more. I used to get 12-14oz a day and now I barely get 8-10oz Would you drop down to 2 pumpings a day at work or keep going with 3x a day to keep the supply up? I have a large freezer stash so I am not worried about having enough to give him. I just don't want to mess up my supply. Do you think it would mess up anything?

PS I have also notice I am having trouble having my let-down while nursing and while pumping. Some times it takes so long he will give up and get pissed. I have to calm him down and try again in a bit, along with some nipple stimulation on the other side. So frustrating

Default Re: Would you drop a session?

If you want to continue giving him ebm, I would still pump 3x/day. Decreasing the frequency will tell your body to produce still less milk. Your supply should bounce back once your period finishes if everything else stays the same. Make sure to get plenty of fluids, and maybe consider oatmeal /fenugreek/etc to help get you over the hump. Good luck!
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeno View Post
    If you want to continue giving him ebm, I would still pump 3x/day. Decreasing the frequency will tell your body to produce still less milk. Your supply should bounce back once your period finishes if everything else stays the same. Make sure to get plenty of fluids, and maybe consider oatmeal /fenugreek/etc to help get you over the hump. Good luck!
    agree with PP. Keep pumping so your supply wont deminish!
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

At 10 months and with a big freezer stash I'd drop down to twice a day if it were me. If you don't need the milk you are pumping there is no reason to keep that supply going. You will still have plenty of milk when you are with him as long as you are nursing when you are together.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    At 10 months and with a big freezer stash I'd drop down to twice a day if it were me. If you don't need the milk you are pumping there is no reason to keep that supply going. You will still have plenty of milk when you are with him as long as you are nursing when you are together.
    i dropped to 2x at around 9 or 10 mos and still get the same output i did then, around 8-10 ounces.

At a year, i went to once a day and my supply did drop to about 6 ounces, but that's all he drinks when i'm gone, so it's fine.
    Last edited by @llli*jbean1979; February 15th, 2011 at 09:13 AM.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it