Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Low milk production???

Unhappy Low milk production???

My baby boy is almost 5 months old and I have been exclusively breastfeeding the entire time. At first, he was a great eater and weight gainer. Then once I went back to work (when we was 4 months old) he hasn't been gaining as well. One reason for this could be that he didn't eat much at all the first week or two at daycare - but is now eating two 4oz bottles during the day. As far as a feeding/pumping schedule, I nurse him at 7am, pump at 10,nurse him at the daycare at 12, pump at 3, and then nurse him around 6pm, then through the evening. We started rice 2 weeks ago and he loves it and wants more. My worry is that I'm not producing much and that he won't gain weight like he needs too. When I pump I am only getting 1-2 oz from each breast at each pumping session. I'm worried that this is only foremilk and not the good stuff. I have been on Reglan for 2 weeks and it has helped. Any advice? Should I be worried?

Default Re: Low milk production???

Can you post your kid's weight gain history? It's pretty normal for weight gain to be rapid during infancy and then slow down as the baby gets older and more mobile.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

At birth, 9/23, he weighed 7 lbs 11 oz.
    At 2 weeks he weighed 9 lbs.
    On 11/23 he weighed 14 lbs.
    On 12/20 he weighed 16 lbs.
    On 1/24 he weighed 16 lbs.
    I'm not sure what he weighs now. I know he jumped up from a 3-6m to a 6-9m clothing size the first week in January and he has outgrown most of that size already.

Based on what you've posted, I wouldn't worry. He seems to be following a very normal weight gain pattern for a breastfed baby- that is, rapidly climbing up through the percentiles in the first weeks/months, and then falling back down (a.k.a. leaning out) as he approaches 6 months. A kid who is outgrowing his clothes is a kid who is growing well. It's helpful to remember that growth isn't always constant in all dimensions. It's normal for a baby to spurt in one dimension while pausing in another.

But here's what I'm thinking: you're nursing around 5 times a day (?), and offering 8 oz in bottles. This sounds like it's around the right amount, but if you could add in some more nursing sessions I think it would be beneficial. Better than rice cereal, anyway, since rice cereal is just empty carbs whereas breastmilk is a balanced meal of fat, protein, and sugar/carbs.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

I'm actually nursing 4 times per day...once in the morning around 7am, noon, after work around 5:30 or 6:00 and then right before bed time around 7:15 but he doesn't always eat at this time. He is ready for bed every day between 6:45 and 7:30pm. He wakes a couple of times through the night and wants his pacifier but then he is back to sleep. Should I back down on the rice so he is more likely to nurse really well before bedtime? I've tried sending more than 4oz to daycare but he won't take more than that.

I'd definitely back off on the rice. If you wanted to gain weight, what would you choose: a rice cake or a milkshake? Also, at not even 6 months babies don't need solids. They're for fun, they're for experimenting with new tastes/textures/motor skills- but they're not necessary for nutrition.

If you offered the breast instead of the paci at night, would he take it? Night-nursing is a terrific way to get calories into a baby.

I'm sure he would prefer the breast to the pacifier at night. Thank you so much for your time today. I was worried that I was pumping for no reason throughout the day...but I think I should keep going. The milk I pumped this morning has "cream" on top and quite a bit of it...even though I was only able to pump a total of 2 oz at the 10:30 pumping session.

Mama, when you pump, how long do you pump?

That may be a misleading question . . .

When I started timing my pumping sessions, I was pumping for 20 minutes. I learned later that for best results, you should pump through two full letdowns.

Hope this helps!
    Wife to DH February 17, 2004.
    First time mom to my precious baby girl, welcomed to this world August 3, 2009!
    Birth: 6 lbs. 6 oz. and 18.5"
    6 months: 14 lbs. 14.5 oz. and 26"
    1 year: 20 lbs. and 30"

Woohoo! We made it one year!

Learn more about us at my blog.