Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confused! 4.5 mths Starting Soilds

Default Confused! 4.5 mths Starting Soilds

Hi all

So I've read a few other posts and it seems that some other ppl are in the same boat.
    My ped told me at my DD's 4 month appointment (at which time she was 4.5 months old) to start soilds. She even said 'no later than 5 months'. I was excited to do so, but started with a 1/2 teaspoon of rice cereral once a day (my Ped. told me 1 tablespoon and increase to 2 but that seemed a lot!) and DD is now 5 months and I have been giving her 2 teaspoons before nursing at breakfast (around 6:30-7am) and at dinner (around 5 ish and then she nurses at bedtime 6 30-7pm). At her 4 mth appointment she was over 16 pounds, so she is a big baby and happily takes the rice, plus breastmilk. (In total she nurses 5 times a day (four hours apart and usually sleeps through the night)

Anyways, my question is-I'm not too keen on the rice cerearl-don't really think it has much nutrition to it and if I'm going to give soilds, I'd rather give real food...is this ok? My Ped. said to do rice, then other single grains cereral, then multigrains and THEN fruit and/or veggies.
    Whatever I do try, I only want to do very small amounts b/c I always thought you don't start soilds until 6 months.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks!

Default Re: Confused! 4.5 mths Starting Soilds

arrg. I had a nice post typed up and my 3-year old decieded to "help" me. :headbang

okay, abrriveated version, before he does it again!

Signs that indicate baby is developmentally ready for solids include:
    Baby can sit up well without support.
    Baby has lost the tongue-thrust reflex and does not automatically push solids out of his mouth with his tongue.
    Baby is ready and willing to chew.
    Baby is developing a “pincer” grasp, where he picks up food or other objects between thumb and forefinger. Using the fingers and scraping the food into the palm of the hand (palmar grasp) does not substitute for pincer grasp development.
    Baby is eager to participate in mealtime and may try to grab food and put it in his mouth.

Watch your baby, not the calander. Even if the ped says 5 months, solids really are just for fun and experimentation for the first year.

Rice cereal is nutritionally void. Better first foods include avacados, banannas and well cooked meats.
    Mommy to 2 little boys!
    DS1 11/1/07 BFed 7 months
    DS2 11/6/09 BF 2 YEARS! and counting!

I'm just curious---is there a reason the pedi gave as to why to start no later than 5 months?
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

Well it was just after my DD received her shots so she was crying, but it was all about babies learning to take a spoon.
    Can I just say that I don't really like my Ped. but it is very, very hard to find a new one where I live (Manitoba, Canada). I tried asking her questions but she said that most Peds don't agree with waiting until 6 months and I kinda felt rushed out of there

Either way, my daughter has been watching us eat for awhile and trying to grab our food, drinks,etc. With the small amount that we've been giving, she is taking it quite fast and not complaining.

If I introduce bananas and the like, do I have to be careful about constipation or does the fact that she is still nursing a lot take care of that?

Thanks!

Real food is better than okay. Your pediatrician's advice is totally dated. You should feel free to offer her whole foods, including fruits, veggies, and meats. And who cares if a baby ever takes a spoon? It's not an important developmental step, it's just a convenience for parents who want to spoon-feed and want to tank their kids up on solids as fast as possible.

When introducing solids, it is always wise to watch your baby's pooping patterns since constipation often starts when solids are introduced. Foods that can provoke constipation include cheese, apples, bananas, rice, and white bread products. Foods that fight it include fruits (particularly the "P" fruits- prunes, pears, plums), vegetables, and whole grains.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Real food is better than okay. Your pediatrician's advice is totally dated. You should feel free to offer her whole foods, including fruits, veggies, and meats. And who cares if a baby ever takes a spoon? It's not an important developmental step, it's just a convenience for parents who want to spoon-feed and want to tank their kids up on solids as fast as possible.

When introducing solids, it is always wise to watch your baby's pooping patterns since constipation often starts when solids are introduced. Foods that can provoke constipation include cheese, apples, bananas, rice, and white bread products. Foods that fight it include fruits (particularly the "P" fruits- prunes, pears, plums), vegetables, and whole grains.

I also think the pedi is way off base here, especially about giving you an ultimatum/time frame by which you must comply...you know your baby better than anyone else on earth, she is only seeing your dd for that short time... and if she is going to badger you about it at the next appointment I would have some good replies ready, i.e. "she's eating like a champ" as some other people on the forum have suggested. Then change the subject. I don't know your family situation, but for me it was EVERYONE and their dog asking about E's diet. It might be good to be ready to field various comments there too, a lot of people for some reason may be pushing you to get her to eat as much solids as possible (i.e. how many jars a day is she eating? and the like). You know your baby, and you're the momma, not anyone else!

As far as the great advice so far I would add that it might be better to bf before you give the solids. Also my LO had a lot of constipation issues when starting out, so definitely be prepared for that to possibly happen, and its ok to cut back on solids temporarily to resolve those issues (there's lots of good advice on these forums too). Lastly LO here first learned about the spoon from taking antibiotics/medication so no food necessary to figure that out. At 9 months, she could care less about the spoon, she's too busy trying to shove everything in her own mouth!
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

www.wholesomebabyfood.com

I never gave my baby cereal (except when used to thicken purees). He did get constipated, d/t an unholy obsession with bananas and sweet potatoes , but it got better after giving him a bit of juice (maybe 2oz per day max), and then only for a few weeks.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeno View Post
    www.wholesomebabyfood.com

I never gave my baby cereal (except when used to thicken purees). He did get constipated, d/t an unholy obsession with bananas and sweet potatoes , but it got better after giving him a bit of juice (maybe 2oz per day max), and then only for a few weeks.
    I was just about to put the link to wholesomebabyfood.com too. I printed it out and put it on my fridge when DS started solids.
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

I love that site! So straight forward. My sister thought I was nuts for making my own baby food, but I loved having that control, ya know? Plus, cheaper, not that hard, etc. I would spend one afternoon about every two weeks baking and pureeing - and really he started on finger foods after just a couple of weeks, and then only did purees at daycare. They would have freaked if I had sent strips of sweet potato at 7 mos
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Thanks everyone!
    I have gone back to nursing first and then doing a bit of cereal later in the morning. Also, you have given me the confidence to go with my gut and scrap the cereal after this week and puree some real food. DD is almost 5.5 months now, but I don't want to rush into something that I don't have to.

Kinda ticked at my Pedi. now...I looked into it and even Health Canada says to start at 6 months...why did she pressure me into the soilds? Pffft.

Thanks again!