Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby cries after every feeding

Default Baby cries after every feeding

My three week old is not a happy camper after he eats. After most feedings, he has incredibly loud burps, spits up, often gets the hiccups, and seems to be straining to pass gas or poop. His tummy gets hard, and he appears to be in pain. I would say that after nearly every feeding, he cries for a minimum of 5 minutes, and sometimes up to an hour. This makes it very difficult for him to settle down and sleep, because even if he appears to be asleep after nursing, often when I put him down he will wake up and start grunting and crying. So often, by the time he settles down and sleeps, it is time for him to wake up and eat again (at least during the day - I don't wake him at night). In addition to the tummy pain, he seems cranky and overtired.

I discussed this with his pedi at his 1 and 2 week visits. After the 2 week visit the pedi put him on a probiotic (BioGaia) and also said we could try Maalox. The Maalox seems to have some value (when he doesn't spit it up), but another week has gone by and it is killing me to see my baby in obvious pain every time he eats. At this point, should I be pushing the pedi to try something stronger for reflux?

I should also mention that, at least between the 1 and 2 week visits, he gained 10 oz, so he seems to be gaining well despite the spitting, etc. He is a very efficient eater and typically eats on one side only, for about 10-15 minutes.

Default Re: Baby cries after every feeding

Does he have frothy green poop? It sounds like it could be oversupply to me and maybe a bit of foremilk/hindmilk imbalance...

Do you think it's reflux? Or just want to try the meds to see if it is?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Nope, poop is totally normal. Mustardy and seedy. Maybe a little more liquidy than I remember, but definitely not green or frothy.

Hmmm... How much time are you letting him go between feedings right now? 2 hours?

My second daughter is 4 weeks old right now and I'm still afraid to let her go more than 2 or 3 hours between daytime feedings, even though she's gaining weight really well.

I wonder how he would do if you would let him get one really good nap in? Also, newborns are pretty gassy. Are you able to get him to burp?
    Tracie

Mommy to

I'm willing to let him go up to 3 or 3 1/2 hours between daytime feedings (which is basically his limit anyway) and longer at night (though I think the best he's done at night is 4).

He does burp, but that doesn't necessarily seem to make him feel any better. I actually think it might be more intestinal-related than reflux, but I'm not sure what you can do for that (or even how it is diagnosed...)

Sorry I hope someone who knows something more comes along.
    Tracie

Mommy to

Bring it up to your pediatrician. Also try changing your diet. Remove dairy and caffiene if you drink it. Reflux isn't that hard to treat but undiagnosed it can bescary to a new mom
    Luna Justine: born January 20 th 6 am on the dot
    I did it! Now without the nipple shield 100% of the time Since 2/12

We are now self-latching! .

ing about . expecting to start in 2 weeks.

Blame strange autocorrect if my posts come out weird. More often than not typing one handed on a "smart" object or just ing

Reflux is a possiblity, though I don't think the grunting and straining to poop are typical reflux systems. Actually, I think they're typical symptoms of being a three week old. It could also be from a forceful letdown, where the milk flows very quickly and the baby really has to gulp it down to keep up (not the same as oversupply), which can cause spitting up and gassiness. Forceful letdown can also cause babies to gain weight quickly, which yours certainly is. 10 oz in one week? Wow!!!

Kellymom.com has some good information on both reflux and forceful letdown.

Some of the same techniques can be helpful in managing both, such as
    • Nursing with baby in an upright position
    • More frequent, smaller feedings (perhaps every 2 hours instead of 3)
    • Burping often
    • Nursing as long as possible on one side (sounds like he's already doing this)

Infant massage might also help with the tummy problems.

If you can't find anything that helps, it would be a good idea to talk to your doctor again specifically about whether he or she thinks it could be reflux.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Could be reflux. DS2 has been on reflux meds since 2 months. I tried to do everything else I could to resolve OS/OALD and when he was still miserable the medication really was the best option and helped a lot.

As far as the pooping thing, I know this might seem a bit silly, but I always thought that somehow DS2's reflux and lack of pooping and being uncomfortable about pooping was somehow related. We just saw a GI doctor recently who actually said that not pooping frequently enough can irritate the reflux because stuff can't move down the digestive system. I don't think much can be done about that in a newborn, they just poop when they poop, but at least meds would help the symptoms.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Not sure if you still check this, but my lo is doing exactly what you describe here. What happened? Was it reflux? Thanks for your help. I'm at a loss as to how to help dd.