Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Stomach Flu decreased supply

Default Stomach Flu decreased supply

This Wednesday I came down with the stomach flu, and needless to say, my 9 month old has been eating bottles (my frozen milk) over half her feedings due to my inability to produce much milk (water went straight through me and couldn't keep food down).

I would pump all the missed day feedings, even though no milk came out. Will this extra stimulation still trick my breasts into making more milk? Once I start getting a greater amount of calories and water into my system will I make a lot at once, as if my breasts had actually produced a lot, or will I have to gradually build it back up again? I only have about 12 frozen feedings left

Default Re: Stomach Flu decreased supply

We had the stomach flu in December, it is no fun to be sick and care for babies. My ds was sick as well and all he wanted to do was nurse. So even though I was pretty weak I just had him nurse a lot and that bumped my supply back up as soon as I was taking more calories in. If I were you I would just let my lo nurse as much as she wants to increase supply. Good luck, hope you feel better soon!
    Ds 9/09 nursed for 20 months

Dd 12/11 nursing a toddler again

I had the same thing last week (it was also on wednesday, coincidentally enough), and I could definitely tell a decrease in my supply. The best thing for you will be to put your baby to the breast often. In fact, I would just stop using your frozen stash right away so that your baby's appetite will cause him to nurse more and build your supply back up. I feel like it took my supply about three days to build back up fully, but I could tell it was much better after the first day. Drink lots of fluid. Good luck!
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeno View Post
    The best thing for you will be to put your baby to the breast often. In fact, I would just stop using your frozen stash right away so that your baby's appetite will cause him to nurse more and build your supply back up.

Reference on nursing when sick, just in case there's a next time: http://www.kellymom.com/health/illness/mom-illness.html
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

The reason I didn't continue to nurse was because I wasn't producing ANYTHING. My baby was fussy and not getting satisfied. I couldn't keep anything down or keep fluids in me for 3 days straight. She also isn't crazy about nursing, only does it for 3-4 minutes on each side, and as soon as the milk flow slows she is off to cruise/crawl/explore. When she wasn't getting anything she would simply pull off and refuse to continue. I didn't know what else to do but supplement with the bottle.

Now that I am recovered, I will offer the breast exclusively and often. Thanks for the advice!

In my experience with stomach flu, yes, once you start getting calories and fluids again, your supply will go back to normal. Bring baby to breast as often as possible.

I never supplemented because when I've been sick it has only lasted a day before I'm able to keep down food and water. I would basically lie in bed all day with baby.

Also, if you are still not able to eat or drink, call your doctor! When I had virtigo shortly after DD1 was born, my doctor called in a prescription for medication to stop the nausia. It helped tremendously.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeno View Post
    I had the same thing last week (it was also on wednesday, coincidentally enough), and I could definitely tell a decrease in my supply. The best thing for you will be to put your baby to the breast often. In fact, I would just stop using your frozen stash right away so that your baby's appetite will cause him to nurse more and build your supply back up. I feel like it took my supply about three days to build back up fully, but I could tell it was much better after the first day. Drink lots of fluid. Good luck!
    I'm in the same boat, but I work full-time. What does one do when they can't nurse baby (while at work) to bring back up supply. Will pumping be enough?

I think it should be fine. Would you be able to substitute shorter, more frequent pumping sessions? Then this weekend nurse, nurse, nurse.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos