Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Clueless, my 9 month cries out for your help =o)

Question Clueless, my 9 month cries out for your help =o)

Mmmhm, clueless. I can't believe I just realized that at 9+ months she should be eating ALOT more than she does...her weight is still low, 13 pounds or so, yeesh, but acting "normal" and looks normal otherwise, just a peanut.. Need to find a new doctor and our old one was useless anyway. So I remember reading a while back for Annabella alot of finger food suggestions, I realized last night, when I was busy with dishes and they were in the living room playing, Annabella had a snack plate and dropped it down on the floor.. (CLEAN =) pet peeve...) and Bryn was crawling around and I notice her eating something.... that something, cookies and pretzels...hum. lol... whoops, but she actually ate them down alright, I was surprised but too overwhelmed to stop her, kind of..I was keeping an eye on her. But any ideas like if I give her grapes and "cubed cheese" as I've seen recommended, how small should it be cut? I'm worried about the choking thing of course, at least with cookies they tend to dissolve in her mouth after knawing long enough, but grapes...cheese? Nervous. I just got a steamer... Does a blender work good as a pureer too? I have a cuisine art hand blender and one of those chopper things it comes with? Help the helpless? Thanks...
    We just and I am non-stop and we have always and now we are finding our groove with I can't believe it, but I am also and there's alot of going on with Annabella. This mama couldn't be more grateful for the two most important loves of her life, and my natural ability to instinctively follow my heart according to what I later learned as "Attachment Parenting"

Gave birth to a beautiful little girl Annabella

9-25-08

Gave birth to a second beautiful little baby girl Brynleigh

4-30-10

Default Re: Clueless, my 9 month cries out for your help =o)

have you taken a 1st aid and cpr class? That might set your mind at ease that you could help her if she got into trouble.

Dr sears has some good info on his web site about good fats and just feeding kids in general.

http://www.askdrsears.com/

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/t023600.asp
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/T030100.asp

Sounds like your baby is a great candidate for baby-led solids, considering the way she pounced on the floor mess and chowed down! I haven't spoon-fed my 9 month old more than a handful of times in the last 3 months, and it's been going great. No choking. Here's what's on her menu right now: green peas, cheerios, Gerber puffs, cherries, bananas, apples, strawberries, spaghetti, tomatoes, squash, sweet potato, carrots, spinach, grapes, pineapple, meat, and fish. And a lot of other stuff which I'm forgetting. Basically, if it's on the table, DD2 is getting a taste unless it's eggs (she's allergic). Everything is either mashed, shredded, or cut into cheerio-sized chunks. But sometimes I'll peel an apple and give it to her, and allow her to gnaw off shreds of it.

If you want to keep going with purees, the blender will work just fine as a puree-er.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Wink Re: Clueless, my 9 month cries out for your help =o)

Thanks mamas! Goodlinks, and great info! Cheerio sized bites that's about what I was thinking, it's just that she has no teeth, that's sort of why I was a little nervous about the cheese? I know she would LOVE to feed herself, she just needs a little help coordinating her hand to her mouth
    We just and I am non-stop and we have always and now we are finding our groove with I can't believe it, but I am also and there's alot of going on with Annabella. This mama couldn't be more grateful for the two most important loves of her life, and my natural ability to instinctively follow my heart according to what I later learned as "Attachment Parenting"

Gave birth to a beautiful little girl Annabella

9-25-08

Gave birth to a second beautiful little baby girl Brynleigh

4-30-10

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*annabellasmommy View Post
    Thanks mamas! Goodlinks, and great info! Cheerio sized bites that's about what I was thinking, it's just that she has no teeth, that's sort of why I was a little nervous about the cheese? I know she would LOVE to feed herself, she just needs a little help coordinating her hand to her mouth
    Hi! An idea for cheese that I have found to work well is to shred it, or cut a very thin slice and give it to her. I was nervous about peas and choking, but my daughter LOVES peas, in fact, right now, that is one of the only things she wants to eat (she is 11 months). I also give my daughter bread or toast and butter with the crust cut off and give it to her in strips that she can pick up and naw on - gets soggy and she is able to eat it (worked even before she had teeth).

I too give my daughter almost anything we are eating now and have since she was about your daughter's age. I just cut it up super small. My daughter loves to feed herself... I still feed her things like yogurt or apple sauce though.

As far as the weight gain goes, might I suggest you give her an iron fortified infant cereal with one to two meals per day? My nephew also had weight gain issues and as soon as they started that regiment, he gained weight beautifully.

Keep up the good work!
    Mother of a wonderful 11 month old baby girl who has been successfully BF all her life.
    DD is currently on a nursing strike...

I would hold off on PRetzels and cheese. You shouldn't feed a child under one salt. Their liver can't process it yet. So only whole real foods that YOU have prepared. Fruits, veggies pieces of meat.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*alaynasmom View Post
    Hi! An idea for cheese that I have found to work well is to shred it, or cut a very thin slice and give it to her. I was nervous about peas and choking, but my daughter LOVES peas, in fact, right now, that is one of the only things she wants to eat (she is 11 months). I also give my daughter bread or toast and butter with the crust cut off and give it to her in strips that she can pick up and naw on - gets soggy and she is able to eat it (worked even before she had teeth).

I too give my daughter almost anything we are eating now and have since she was about your daughter's age. I just cut it up super small. My daughter loves to feed herself... I still feed her things like yogurt or apple sauce though.

As far as the weight gain goes, might I suggest you give her an iron fortified infant cereal with one to two meals per day? My nephew also had weight gain issues and as soon as they started that regiment, he gained weight beautifully.

Keep up the good work!
    iron fortified rice cereal is basically empty calories, so if i were you I'd try to feed her higher calorie stuff that has naturally occurring iron, such as beans and lentils (my guy LOVES lentils and black beans). Watermelon and cheerios also have iron in them!

avocado and banana are also nice nutrient rich, higher calorie foods.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

How are things going otherwise? Are you doing/feeling better?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months