Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I have to stop BF and baby hates formula!!!!

Default Re: I have to stop BF and baby hates formula!!!!

Wow, that is so tough. First off, I'm sorry that you have to end your breastfeeding relationship under such circumstances. I'm glad that your cancer is curable!! I do know a woman who had thyroid cancer during her pregnancy and she waited out the treatment until right after birth. She does still breastfeed though....but I have no idea if she had the same treatment as you. I know she had the thyroid removed and she has to take meds everyday no-matter-what.

I'm sending you good vibes that you get this solved.

I'm sure the docs are making it sound MUCH easier than it is. I would be very upset, too. I weaned my first son at 23 months, while I was going through a miscarriage, and even at 23 months I was still a wreck over it.
    Jessica:
    Holistic Health Practioner, Wife, Blogger and most importantly Mommy to my 2 little sidekicks!
    Nursed N for 23 months...round the clock!
    B is 8.5 months and still going strong!
    www.clothdiaperingmama.com

Oh goodness, I could not imagine having to wean before we were ready, especially that fast. I know when trying to get babies use to bottles, having someone other than momma try to feed helps. Your babe knows you have the good stuff and will wait for it. I would recommend you leave your son with your mom for a few hours and see if she can work with the bottle. Also adding fluids to the solid food if possible may help with the dehydration.
    I really feel for you! Sending lots of hugs during this very rough time.
    Married 9/17/2005
    Mother to Seamus born 3/9/2010 7lbs 9oz Still nursing with no end in sight!
    I love , , cloth diapers! with #2! Due 4/5/2012. for a Vbac!

I'm so sorry you are going through all of this. Lots of hugs.
    Proud mama to Matthew Rory, born naturally 10/29/10, and mama to Callie Elisabeth, born naturally 5/15/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*NCGIRL218 View Post
    Hi, My situation is a little uncommon. I have been doing great with Breastfeeding since my son was born. He is now 7 months old! He is very healthy, he is starting on some baby food he LOVES his veggies!!
    Here is my problem...I was diagnosed with Thyroid cancer on Dec 3rd 2010 and had my entire thyroid removed on Jan 3rd. My Drs want me to have my son weaned and on formula in a FEW days, because I have to have radioactive iodine treatment.
    Hi NCGIRL,

First off ***HUGS***. This must be awful for you. I can't even imagine what you are going through. But big hurrah for coming in here for information and support!

Now for that information. First some questions: Do you know how long your treatmeat will be for? Have you asked how long the doctors are willing to wait before treatment begins? Have you asked about alternative treatments that are "breastfeeding-friendly"? As you say, your situation is rare, so the doctors have probably only told you what they tell average patients, they likely haven't done the extra work to find out what's best for you and your baby. It's easiest for THEM to tell you to simply stop (and stopping cold turkey is never a good idea... mastitis!) but that might not be the only option.

Looking at LLL resources on similar situations, I'd suggest asking the above questions of your doctor (or getting a second opinion), start pumping now to put together a stash for while you are undergoing treatment, look into getting human milk from someone else, and also look into whether temporary weaning while undergoing treatment might be an option. This is often suggested for patients getting thyroid treatment and is discussed on the LLL FAQ on hyperthyroidism.

As for bottles, you might be able to skip them altogether and go for a cup or sippy cup. As he's eating complementary foods, while you are not breastfeeding, think about other calcium sources that are okay at 7 months: yogurt, cheeses. If he's dehydrated, think about introducing water with meals. If you do opt for the bottle, there are ways that it can be offered that are more "breast-feeding-friendly" (such as putting the bottle under the armpit and holding baby that way).

A lot of skin-to-skin with Dad at this time has also been tried by Moms who have had to temporarily wean.

Good luck,

Michelle
    Last edited by @llli*mshelll; February 13th, 2011 at 05:10 AM.

So many hugs. I know what it's like to lose your BFing relationship. And it's so hard, and no, the doctors are no help. They don't get it and just say to get over it.

I think a donor situation might be ideal for you guys.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I suggest anyone who has been told to stop nursing due to medications and/or medical treatments contact the infant risk center founded by Medications and Mothers Milk author Thomas Hale to find out what your options may be. http://www.infantrisk.com/ "We are now open to answer calls Monday-Friday 8am-5pm central time. Please contact us at (806)-352-2519"

When a mom must wean abruptly, please don't forget that you will need to take care of yourself as well as you can get engorged etc. Here is an article about that: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/weaning_mom.html

Perhaps you can try giving your son water or diluted juice in a sippy to ward off dehydration and ease him into accepting formula. Perhaps you could mix prepared (already mixed) formula into a food that he likes to up the nutrition of that meal.
    This is a difficult time for both of you! I am so sorry. You may want to contact you local LLL Group for support.

I would definitely try to use a sippy cup, possibly even a straw style. Get a hold of your local LLL leader and see if she can help you get some local safe donated mama milk. Do whatever you have to do, whether it's the ideal or not to get you guys through this ordeal of weaning so suddenly. I am so sorry mama. I agree do water or juice in the cup to keep him hydrated.
    Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    And my Christmas Eve baby
    L '12
    I will carry you all my life
    And I will praise the one who's chosen me to carry you
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. *Helen Kellar*

If you would like to continue to breast feed him, maybe you can get someone to donate breastmilk to you.

http://milkshare.forumotion.com/