Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have to stop BF and baby hates formula!!!!

Default I have to stop BF and baby hates formula!!!!

Hi, My situation is a little uncommon. I have been doing great with Breastfeeding since my son was born. He is now 7 months old! He is very healthy, he is starting on some baby food he LOVES his veggies!!
    Here is my problem...I was diagnosed with Thyroid cancer on Dec 3rd 2010 and had my entire thyroid removed on Jan 3rd. My Drs want me to have my son weaned and on formula in a FEW days, because I have to have radioactive iodine treatment. I have been trying SO HARD! I have tried almost every bottle and now sippy cups out there with almost every type of formula, now I HATE the thought of stopping breastfeeding and I hate the idea of giving my baby formula, and he HATES it too!!! He gags and refuses every formula..I even found an organic one that doesnt smell bad or taste bad but he refuses to drink it. Now everyone (including Drs) tell me to let him get hungry enough and he will take it, but they dont know my baby ...he is stubborn and he will hold out the whole day and scream and scream and he will get dehydrated and constipated it is absolutely heartbreaking. He cries and I cry!!! I dont know what to do... It has been so stressful...I dont get out enough milk with pumping...and he doesnt even really like to take my milk from anything but the breast! I never thought I would have to face this...I was so proud of myself for being sucessful at breastfeeding! I have thought about donor breastmilk but that scares me a little cause its hard to KNOW for sure if that mother's milk it truely safe for my lil one!! I have NO idea what to do...I break down at night and let my baby nurse...and then he finally has wet diapers again...this is so hard!!!!

Default Re: I have to stop BF and baby hates formula!!!!

Oh, I am so sorry you are going through this!! This is pretty much the only reason I can think of for weaning early - I think even the LLL folks say you can't nurse through radiation or chemotherapy. I found this link for you.

Will your little one take a sippy cup? Or a regular cup? At seven months, you may be able to wean him straight to a cup.

I also wanted to say, if you know the mother, donor milk is really safe, and almost always preferable to formula. Think about it, live milk from even a woman who takes occasional medication, etc., is better than formula. Of course, the donor milk you get from milk banks is heavily screened, but milk banks are pricey.

Again, I'm just really sorry you have to go through this. That seven months of breastfeeding is a wonderful gift that you have given your baby boy.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I'm sorry

Have you talked with a local leader?
    shes around to listen.

http://www.breastfeeding.com/helpme/...lc_ans148.html

this looks like a very good link about it from a mom who's btdt.

LOts of hugs.
    have you thought about feeding something besides formula?
    and then using a liquid vitiman.
    There are lots of recipies on-line for home made formula.

Thank you all for your responses.. I have looked into a the local Eats on Feets program but havent tried to contact any donor moms yet. It so hard cause Im just not getting the support I need from family and friends(except my mom who has sit and cried with me) and definitely no support from the Drs...they just tell me to go home and stop BF...if only it were that simple...when I read the ingredients of formula I dont like what I see...I did find one organic formula, Natures One formula I believe it doesnt smell or taste bad but my lil man gags on it like its horrible...I am gonna check out the links you guys gave me and read up some more on the donor milk and homemade formulas//. Im praying I can get through all this..Thank you to all who responded...

good luck with the eats on feets... that sounds like a great way to go.

Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

No advice, just .

I'm so sorry, mama. Maybe try eats on feets on Facebook. Their page gets a lot of traffic.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

I am very sorry you are going through this. I can't imagine. Have you tried mixing formula with breastmilk? It sounds like there isn't a lot of time, but maybe that would at least get him used to the taste of formula a little bit.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09