Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lipase question

Default lipase question

Hi LLLadies,

I discovered I had a lipase issue when pumping for Lilah when she was already 11 months old. So I'm checking this now with Beatrix... I pumped some milk last week and froze it. I checked it today - it does not have excess lipase. Does this mean I am good to go to start pumping for my freezer stash without scalding? Or should I scald half of it just in case? I just don't want to freeze a bunch of milk and have Beatrix go to the sitter with vomit milk on her first day.

Anyone with experience with this? Does lipase come and go?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Default Re: lipase question

Bump.

Anyone?
    Tracie

Mommy to

Hmmm... I personally have not had a lipase issue, but as far as I know (based on what I have read here), it can come on at anytime. I vaguely recall that when Susan was pumping for Logan, her lipase issue surfaced after he was many months old?
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

I think I'm just going to scald all milk that will be frozen. She'll only get frozen milk once a week, so that shouldn't be too complicated.
    Tracie

Mommy to

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    I think I'm just going to scald all milk that will be frozen. She'll only get frozen milk once a week, so that shouldn't be too complicated.
    Probably a good idea... and frozen milk once a week was exactly what I did with Mason this time... I always gave him my oldest pumped milk from the freezer on Mondays, and he got freshly pumped milk the rest of the week. Then I froze Friday's milk, and repeated the process on Monday.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*buff24 View Post
    Hmmm... I personally have not had a lipase issue, but as far as I know (based on what I have read here), it can come on at anytime. I vaguely recall that when Susan was pumping for Logan, her lipase issue surfaced after he was many months old?
    He was older than 6 months. I think he was like 10 months

But...I now have it with Gavin, at 5 weeks.

I think your plan is a good one
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Well, I definitely have excess lipase again. I don't know why it didn't occur to me to just leave an ounce in the fridge for a few days and test it. That's much faster than waiting weeks with the freezer. That is how I accidentally figured it out this time.

Fortunately I have scalded everything I've frozen. It seems like my milk is good for about 2 days in the fridge. I'm going to do an experiment with fresh milk in the fridge this week to find out how long it is actually good for, I want to make sure that it can be used on a second day if Beatrix doesn't eat all of the milk I pump the day before.
    Tracie

Mommy to

It can come and go but the amount of time it takes to taste bad also can vary person to person. I never had to pump for work, but with DD2, I just always scalded when I pumped because I didn't want to deal with it going bad and feeling like I had wasted it.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

I had it with both of mine

ETA: Mine was good for about 48hrs. But if I pumped on Friday, it would be RANK by Monday
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Mine too Leslie, with Lilah. When I finally figured out what was going on, I noticed that the fresh milk smelled off after a couple days in the fridge too. I know there's no way the milk is going to last from a Thursday to a Tuesday without scalding and freezing, but it would be nice if it would last from Tuesday to Thursday. I would prefer for her to only get scalded milk one day a week... although, of course, it's way better than formula.
    Tracie

Mommy to