Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much to put in freezer bags?

Default How much to put in freezer bags?

Hi,
    Right now my 3.5 week old eats about 2.5 oz at a feeding. I'm starting to freeze some in freezer bags but now sure if I should freeze 2.5 oz per bag or put say 5oz in a bag to freeze then that would be for 2 feedings when defrosted. I'm new to this
    thanks!

intersection of Mommy Guilt and True Bliss

Default Re: How much to put in freezer bags?

For me, I started out with filling the bags with just enough for each feeding. But bags aren't cheap and I knew I was storing for the long haul, so I cooled the milk down and filled the bags to 6 oz.
    Lori
    Mom to daughter (8/17/07) and mom to fraternal twin sons (1/5/10)

*Mom with chronic health issues, NICU babies, reflux sufferers, multiple food allergies (mom and kids)
    *DD birthweight 5lb, 14oz, now 26lb, 4oz
    *DS1 birthweight 4lb, 6oz, now 19lb
    *DS2 birthweight 4lb, 2oz, now 18lb, 12oz

**An EXCELLENT speller, unless I have either a child on my lap or I'm using my cell phone!**

EP MOM FOR 14.5 MONTHS - NOW USING UP MY FROZEN BM SUPPLY!

My nearly 1 year old still only takes about 2.5-3 oz per bottle at dcp. I freeze in 5 oz like you said. I did 2 oz early on, and it worked out ok. But I probably wasted a lot of bags.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

I also fill the bags up just because they are so expensive. I usually leave DH a combo of fresh and frozen milk and he knows to use up all the defrosted milk first. My DS is 8 months and he'll take 4-5 oz at the most so DH just fills the bottle that much. If he's still hungry he can always add more.
    DS was born June - 2010
    and with lots of help and support from my hubby
    Ready to pump wean!!

intersection of Mommy Guilt and True Bliss

I also have a ton of those little Snappi containers from the NICU that hold about 2 to 2.5 oz and I use them for my fridge stash and for short-term freezer storage. I know Medela and othe companies make similar bottles.
    Lori
    Mom to daughter (8/17/07) and mom to fraternal twin sons (1/5/10)

*Mom with chronic health issues, NICU babies, reflux sufferers, multiple food allergies (mom and kids)
    *DD birthweight 5lb, 14oz, now 26lb, 4oz
    *DS1 birthweight 4lb, 6oz, now 19lb
    *DS2 birthweight 4lb, 2oz, now 18lb, 12oz

**An EXCELLENT speller, unless I have either a child on my lap or I'm using my cell phone!**

EP MOM FOR 14.5 MONTHS - NOW USING UP MY FROZEN BM SUPPLY!

I just froze a feeding at a time (and sometimes less) but I tried not to freeze much. Frozen stuff was for emergencies only for us. Frozen milk loses some of the immunities so I tried to use fresh as much as possible once I went back to work. It lasts in the fridge for about 8 days so that worked for me. I also had OS so I didn't want to pump anymore than I needed to. I wouldn't have given my kid a bottle when I didn't have to so I did freeze anything before I went back to work.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.