Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's wrong with the right?!

Default Re: What's wrong with the right?!

Can you mimic however she's positioned on the left when you nurse her on the right? Like instead of flipping her, just scoot her across and maybe use some pillows for support
    Hi, I'm Faith, a Wife, Mom, Stepmom and SAHM
    I married my best friend Rodney on October 17, 2009
    DS1 Andy Born May 11, 2002
    DS2 Ethan Born May 18, 2009 Nursed 2 years 7 months & 2 days
    DSS1 Benjamin Born September 24, 1989

Not an ear infection, had it checked out yesterday. So last night at bedtime, I somehow coaxed her into taking the right side (which she nursed for quite some time). This morning, she barely nursed at all. Then nap time...totally exhausted as she was...REFUSED the right. As soon as we switched over to that side, she started freaking out and kept trying to pull up and grab my arm (to stand up).

I know she's getting more teeth (she waited 12 months before popping her first tooth, now they're all coming in at once!). But why is she okay with the left but not the right?! Last week...no problems. So I just don't get it. {{frustrated}}
    Gina - SAHM to Sofia Rose born day after Christmas! 12/26/09

Nursing two years and still going!

Still refusing Righty I'm wondering if this scenario is possible:

I'm thinking that with the sinus cavities swelling up from the teething, that maybe she went to nurse last week on the right and the pain was so intense, that now she's scared to attempt to nurse the right again. Like she's on strike, but only on the right side? Can that actually happen?

Not sure how to get her to overcome that...

first rule of BF - babies are weird. second rule - toddlers are weirder.

My son breastfed until 14mo and would NOT nurse the left breast after about 8 mo. I don't know why - no reason. I had to nurse him on the right and pump the left. The upside to juggling the baby and the pump was that when the milk let down for him on the right, I got ALOT of milk from the left.

I never figured out what his problem was...I guess he just decided he preferred that breast. After a while, when I pump weaned, my supply adjusted and I didn't have any trouble with his preference.
    Lori -
    wife to Davis, my best friend and strongest supporter
    43 yo mom to 3

Lee Allen Christopher - 18 - precious preemie , all grown up; BF 6 wks
    Connor Ethan - 13 - my red head , ALL boy, ALL the time; BF 14 mo
    Mollie Rhiannon - 4 - my surprise , more fun than I ever expected; BFing, no end in sight!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*startingover View Post
    first rule of BF - babies are weird. second rule - toddlers are weirder.

My son breastfed until 14mo and would NOT nurse the left breast after about 8 mo. I don't know why - no reason. I had to nurse him on the right and pump the left. The upside to juggling the baby and the pump was that when the milk let down for him on the right, I got ALOT of milk from the left.

I never figured out what his problem was...I guess he just decided he preferred that breast. After a while, when I pump weaned, my supply adjusted and I didn't have any trouble with his preference.

Thanks for the reply. I'm having a rough day. Baby is crying, I'm crying. I tried to offer her the right side and she went literally into a meltdown about 15 minutes ago...I couldn't get her to even catch her breath. I just don't understand what is going on. Then she tried the left side and gave up. I'm not sure what weaning is like...but I sure hope this isn't it. She was nursing fine last week about 3x in the morning and twice in the afternoon/evening. Now she barely nurses in the morning (left side only) and a little at bedtime. And then runs away from me, like I'm toxic...it's the weirdest thing. Am I being too forceful about it?! I ask her if she wants milk and she looks at me, starts to cry, and turns the other way. I'm beside myself...