Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's wrong with the right?!

Default What's wrong with the right?!

Wow, what a week...you can probably tell by all my posts this week! I'm exhausted! Talk about determination with nursing a toddler...whew!

So DD is recovering from some congestion (common cold) this past week where she dropped several nursing sessions. Now, she's able to nurse again (doesn't seem to be as stuffed up)...BUT GUESS WHAT....she's refusing the right side. She stares at it, puts her mouth to it, then jumps up and off my lap. HUH? She's always nursed both sides...up until about 3 days ago. It feels full...I can manually squeeze milk out, so what gives?! Somewhat of a strike? We've had one h*ll of a ride since day 1 and I can't believe I've gone this far. I'm so tired of worrying. She's had several nursing strikes...and if my memory serves me correctly, back when she was a few months old she stopped taking the right side for a few days and I thought ear infection? But doctor said no. Eventually she went back to it (I don't remember the duration).

Anyway, anyone have any suggestions/thoughts/same experience with this? Thanks!
    Gina - SAHM to Sofia Rose born day after Christmas! 12/26/09

Nursing two years and still going!

Default Re: What's wrong with the right?!

who knows they are funny little buggers....
    how old is she?
    hang in there, you can either hand express or pump or not if you choose to.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andrea.wolford View Post
    who knows they are funny little buggers....
    how old is she?
    hang in there, you can either hand express or pump or not if you choose to.
    13.5 months old. I know, I'm sure the stress is not helping the situation
    When I pump it, hardly anything comes out anymore since I pump weaned. I may have to break it back out of retirement, ugh!

yeah shes older then. Pumping once a day might help then at least if she desides to take it again you'll have some milk she can build on.

is she sleeping all night for you?
    sometimes you can trick them if they are sleepy into taking the breast they don't like.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andrea.wolford View Post
    yeah shes older then. Pumping once a day might help then at least if she desides to take it again you'll have some milk she can build on.

is she sleeping all night for you?
    sometimes you can trick them if they are sleepy into taking the breast they don't like.
    She's been sleeping through the night since about 6 months old. So that won't work unless I pick her up while sleeping, which I really don't think would go over well

you could try nap time too.

I tried nap time and bed time tonight...nothing. Ugh. Maybe it's teeth? But why would she take the left?

I'm starting to wonder if it's her ear bothering her. Because as soon as I move her to nurse on the right, she starts to cry and then stares at my breast like she wants it, but doesn't want to lay and nurse. I tried nursing with her standing up, she barely latches on. So then I move her back to the left side and she tries to nurse it again for more milk and then gets frustrated. (i wish she understood that there's none left on that side and to take the right side for more milk!) Then, when she gives up, she hops off my lap and walks around clumsily and cries/whines. What gives?!

If she's walking clumsily then it could be her ear - my daughter had like 2 ear infections when she was little and it affected her balance.

My son, whose 25 months, recently has decided he will only nurse off my right side for less than a minute but will nurse off my left side for quite a while. His ears have been checked, so it's not that. He just seems to prefer the left right now, for whatever reason, but I do tell him he needs to nurse off the right a little bit since there's milk there. Weird!
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

My guess is ear, too. Her behavior and the timing (after a cold) fits for her ear bothering her.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.