Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Relactating 6 months on...

Default Relactating 6 months on...

I was very depressed when my DD was first born and so I stopped BF'ing right after she turned a month, she is 7.5 months now. I looked into relactating a while ago, but it's only recently that I've felt strong enough to really DO it!

I'd really appreciate some tips &/or experiences - how long should it take before I should start getting anything?... I have been dry this whole time & my DD has forgotten how to latch...

What kind of regime should I look at? If I am totally and utterly honest, I don't do well with waking up at night and highly doubt I will be able to wake myself to pump at night

What kind of herbal supplements work/dosages etc?

Thanks!

Default Re: Relactating 6 months on...

I'm not help on much but when I had to re-lactate with DS- I used the SNS during the day and co-slept at night. i'm sure someone will be better help though.

Good Luck Mama! I applaud you!
    Jaxon (07/13/08) weaned at 27 months
    Alexa and Braxton (11/18/10). My NICU miracles.

http://swallomlife.blogspot.com

"This above all: to thine own self be true" -Hamlet

Thanks! Co-sleeping isn't really an option unfortunately I may look into the SNS... I feel unsupported & I have to say, looking back, it was the same when I was breastfeeding initially...my husband thinks it's work for no reason and much easier to bottle/formula feed... He's generally totally fine & says he will support me, but I know he thinks I'm being stupid to want to relactate this far on...

He just asked me if this means Evey will be waking in the night again (if I am successful and we start EBF again...) I don't imagine that is the case, but is it possible? She was doing really well before & waking once in the night to BF right before I stopped - but she was a month old, lol... Any experiences there? Right now she sleeps from about 9pm to 10am..

P.S Just wondering what to expect, seen as it has been so long since DD was EBF!! Mostly so I can communicate with my DH, in the hope he can support me better.... Any tips on that appreciated!

I'm sorry that you had such a hard time with your newborn. It's great that you want to relactate! It is doable, as long as you're willing to do the work.

- how long should it take before I should start getting anything?...
    The answer to this question depends on:
    - How often you pump.
    - How well you respond to the pump.
    - What sort of pump you have.
    - Whether or not your baby will nurse.
    - What sort of supplements/medications you use.

So really there's no answer. But the more often you pump and the better your pump is (I recommend using a top-of-the-line hospital-grade rental), the faster your output should increase.

I have been dry this whole time & my DD has forgotten how to latch...
    This link may help you get her back to the breast: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html

But after 7.5 months off, there are no guarantees. Getting your baby to nurse again may be possible, or it may not. The one thing that is certain is that you won't know unless you try.

What kind of regime should I look at? If I am totally and utterly honest, I don't do well with waking up at night and highly doubt I will be able to wake myself to pump at night
    I suggest starting by pumping every 2 hours during the day, for at least 10-15 minutes per side, using a hospital grade pump. Any additional pumping you can do will be beneficial. So if you can bring yourself to wake up at night, it will help. But don't feel like you MUST pump at night. Nighttime pumping will help, but you can probably manage without it.

What kind of herbal supplements work/dosages etc?
    http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milks...actagogue.html
    Thanks! [/QUOTE]
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I wanted to wish you good luck! My DH was supportive of relactating. He followed my lead. Perhaps you just need to be positive but firm about it. It worked for me!

Thank you!!!

We tried dribbling a little formula on my nipple last night and trying to get Evey to latch, but she's not interested... Plus DH showed her the bottle first

I'm going to start pumping regularly tomorrow because I just feel weird with DH around...I'll obviously have to get over that, but I want to just have some privacy to do it tomorrow when he's not around to start with...! I also bought myself a nursing/pumping bra (didn't have any proper ones when I was first BF'ing... =/) which will hopefully be here the end of next week or soon thereafter.

I mentioned it to my mum (she lives in the UK & I am in the US, so I don't have any local support...) and she said it was worth trying & if it doesn't go well, at least we know she is thriving and happy on formula. Something I totally have to keep in mind, but also that the breastfeeding would provide a strong bonding opportunity between me & Evelyn, as well as being good for her!

If nothing else I just want to prove to myself that I CAN give this a good go!

Okay, so I pumped this morning.. When I was BF'ing, there was always one boob that FAR exceeded the quantities of milk put out by the other boob - it was always engorged and gianormous, whereas the other produced just enough for Evey and was happy

Anyway, I pumped the 'slower' boob first and got a little moisture on my nipple....the 'faster' boob however I had enough to actually leak into my breastpump (not as far as the bottle, but running down my nipple) and some big beads on my nipple.

So I have a question - it looks like colostrum. I assume that's what it is because my body is basically thinking I'm feeding a new baby & it's starting over with milk production?

I pumped for 10 mins on each side, should I do some more in this hour since I actually got something, or should I just wait 2 hours?

I'm excited that I actually got something!!
    Charlotte~British Expat, Wife of Alex & Mama of Evelyn (21st June 2010) and Audrey (30th January 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*expatmama1990 View Post
    Anyway, I pumped the 'slower' boob first and got a little moisture on my nipple....the 'faster' boob however I had enough to actually leak into my breastpump (not as far as the bottle, but running down my nipple) and some big beads on my nipple.
    That's terrific! Awesome progress, Mama!

So I have a question - it looks like colostrum. I assume that's what it is because my body is basically thinking I'm feeding a new baby & it's starting over with milk production?
    Actually, I think it's called involution milk. It's the milk that the breast produces as it returns to the non-lactating state. Lower in lactose, higher in protein, particularly lactoferrin, which is particularly valuable for disease-resistance properties.

I pumped for 10 mins on each side, should I do some more in this hour since I actually got something, or should I just wait 2 hours?
    There's no need to wait. The sooner you pump again, the better your results will be.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I am in the process of relactating--I'm on my eighth day of lots of pumping. Although I never dried up completely as sometimes I would nurse a couple minutes each day and sometimes I would pump (always less than a half ounce). When I stated pumping consistently last week, I was at less than a quarter of an ounce per day, and yesterday I got about 1 2/3 ounce for the day.

I have been pumping a lot, but I don't get up at night, just right before bed and when I get up in the morning. I have been doing a lot of "power pumping" as well. Pumping for ten minutes or so, off for ten, on for ten. . . The more pumping sessions, the better.

My little guy won't nurse right now, but I am hopeful that he will once my supply is up. But for now, I am focusing on increasing my supply and celebrating my progress. At some point, I will focus more on trying to get him to nurse, but right now, I don't want to be discouraged in this process.

Anyway, keep at it, and good luck! As I have been looking into relactating more, that you're getting something is a good sign.