Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Extremely Frustrated!

Default Extremely Frustrated!

Why is my 8 month old still only wanting to latch onto just my nipple?
    Breastfeeding has never been enjoyable for us, I am constantly sore; there have been very rare occurances that are comfortable but I can never get him to repeat them and I feel like I've tried everything! We've seen several IBCLC's and no one has been able to help. Anyone else have some suggestions?

Default Re: Extremely Frustrated!

Wow, 8 months old and still with a painful latch? You're a saint for putting up with it! I can think of 4 reasons why a baby would still be compressing the nipple at 8 months in:
    1. To control a fast letdown of milk.
    2. Teething.
    3. Tongue tie. (The IBCLCs should have been able to eliminate this, though apparently there are rather obscure types of tongue tie that can be hard to see...)
    4. Your nipples are short, flat, or inverted. (Again, I'd think the LCs would have picked up on this?)

Does the nipple pinching happen at a particular time during the feeding? Beginning, during letdowns, at the very end- or is it all the way through?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

The whole time he eats is irritating; sometimes so bad I want to throw something other times tollerable, but it lasts from the time he latches until he lets go or I unlatch him. He was tongue tied at birth and it didn't get corrected until he was about 2 months old (we were pumping a bottle feeding at that point I just couldn't stand letting him have the breast) Afterwards it was better but nothing I've tried has helped since then. I even had him rechecked to make sure it hadn't grown back or anything.

I may have a fast letdown, but that's the only time he seems to actually drink somewhat "normally" He has really short choppy sucks, my LC says it looks like nonnutritive sucking but he is actually drinking and never sucks any differently. He's somehow been able to get enough milk this way because we've never had a problem with weight gain or anything, still in the 90th percentile at almost 9 months. I just really don't know what else to try!

Tongue tie can cause latch problems even after it's been fixed. I think there are exercises you can do to encourage your baby to stick his tongue out further and latch better? Someone here has posted about it. I'll go look ...

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

This site references an article about exercises you can do to help retrain your baby's tongue after tongue tie. "Effective Exercises for a Short Frenum" by Sara Rosenfeld-Johnson, MS, CCC-SLP, from the 1/15/2001 issue of Advance for Speech-Language Pathologist and Audiologists

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.