Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Please help - milk allergy - should I pump and dump??

Default Please help - milk allergy - should I pump and dump??

My 6 week old son began spitting up A LOT at around 3 weeks. I began taking steps to help with reflux as well as a milk allergy - so I was dairy free for a few weeks. When I went to the pediatrician on Monday, he told me it seemed to be reflux and not a milk allergy, so to start re-introducing milk into my diet. Well, last night I had some cheese at dinner (he seemed fine) and then today I had some milk and now he's been spitting up a lot again (like it seems like his entire feeding). So now think it's the dairy and I feel sooo bad and I don't know what to do. How long will it take for the majority of the milk protein to be metabolized and out of my breastmilk again? Should I pump and dump in the meantime (I only have enough stored milk for 5 feedings since I'm at home with him and just started pumping). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Please help - milk allergy - should I pump and dump??

I wouldn't a little bit of spit up isn't going to hurt too much.

Unless the spitting up is accompanied by pain, I'd treat it as a laundry issue, not a health issue. And even though so far there's a one to one correspondence between you eating dairy and your baby spitting up, I wouldn't rule a dairy intolerance all the way in based on the events of a single day. You want to look for consistent patterns.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

and 6 weeks is very young too. Your milk supply is still getting adjusted to what baby needs.