Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fluid intake guidelines for a 12 months old

Lightbulb Fluid intake guidelines for a 12 months old

Hi, my son just turned 1. I'm planning to nurse him until he is 2 at least. I'm not clear on how often I should offer him breastmilk now - before he eats solid food, or after? I nurse him once, or twice per night. Then in the morning when he wakes up, then again for his morning nap, afternoon nap, and close to dinner time.

Besides breastmilk, how much water should hedrink and perhaps some other milk? Cow's milk is out of the question b/c of dairy sensitivity. I've read almond mixed with some coconut milk is nutritionally right for toddlers. I'm not sure how much water he should be drinking. I've read 4 oz per day - that seems kind of low. He wants to drink sometimes more water, and I don't know if that's ok or substitute it with non-dairy milk for extra calories. Just so many questions. I can't find answers and our doctor is not much help either

Would really appreciate your advice )

Default Re: Fluid intake guidelines for a 12 months old

With that many nursing sessions, I would just give the rest of his fluids as water, as much as he wants. Additional milk isn't necessary, but I would consider a vitamin D supplement, esp if you are darker skinned and/or live in more northern latitudes.

ETA: this assumes he is eating well in addition to nursing
    Last edited by @llli*jeno; February 10th, 2011 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Clarification
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Thank you Jeno!

Actually I'm not sure, do I nurse him too much? Should I nurse less often or how do I even know when he needs less breastmilk and more other fluids, as I would think toddler must surely need less BM than infant?

I'm giving vit D drops. And I'll start giving him infant probiotics and flax oil soon too.

ps. My family finds it strange that I'm nursing beyond 1. But whatever! As long as I'm doing the right thing for my son, and he gets all the nutrition he needs I'm fine with that.

I have to say that at 12 months DD was still nursing a lot! So I woulndt worry about addittional fluids or milk. Sounds like yout LO is getting plenty of milk from you as well!

WTG!!!
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

Actually I'm not sure, do I nurse him too much?
    You can't nurse too much. Not for the baby, anyway. You might get exhausted by it! Most of what I have seen suggests that a toddler who nurses at least 3-5 times a day is probably getting his needs for "dairy" met at the breast. But there's absolutely no harm and plenty of benefit in nursing more than that. At 12 months, my first kid was still nursing at least 8-10 times a day and it was great. When she got sick and wouldn't eat solids, breastmilk filled the void. When she went on food jags and would only eat cheerios for days on end, I knew that breastmilk was providing her with a source of balanced nutrition.

Should I nurse less often or how do I even know when he needs less breastmilk and more other fluids, as I would think toddler must surely need less BM than infant?
    At 12 months, you can nurse less often if you wish. But that means increased vigilance about the rest of your toddler's diet- making sure that his solids are varied and balanced. You may continue to nurse before solids or offer solids first, as you choose.

ps. My family finds it strange that I'm nursing beyond 1. But whatever! As long as I'm doing the right thing for my son, and he gets all the nutrition he needs I'm fine with that.
    You might want to check out and perhaps share the following resources on extended nursing:
    When to Wean
    AAP's Policy Statement on Breastfeeding and the Use of Human Milk- note the part that mentions how "Increased duration of breastfeeding confers significant health and developmental benefits for the child and the mother, especially in delaying return of fertility (thereby promoting optimal intervals between births).196
    There is no upper limit to the duration of breastfeeding and no evidence of psychologic or developmental harm from breastfeeding into the third year of life or longer.197"
    Extended Breastfeeding's Benefits

ETA: With regard to liquids in addition to breastmilk, you may continue to give your child as much breastmilk as he wants, offering it when he's thirsty, and in addition offer sippy cups full of water. Avoid juice unless it's watered down, since juice is full of sugar which is not good for baby teeth and which is also a large source of calories unbalanced by other healthy things like fats, fiber, and proteins. If you want your baby to have fruit, give him the whole fruit, not the juice.
    Last edited by @llli*mommal; February 11th, 2011 at 08:16 AM.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you for answering my questions and putting my worries to rest. Lots of great info. Thanks