Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need to kick thrush for good! is Gentian violet reallys safe?

Default Need to kick thrush for good! is Gentian violet reallys safe?

We are on our second go with nystatin (cream and oral). Both times I saw improvement at first and then the pain/reddness got progressively worse after the first couple days of treatment. I just saw a nurse practitioner at my OB who was very skeptical because I told her that the baby had no white patches (why does every healthcare provider think you both have to have symptoms when I've read the opposite from several reliable sources?), but after hearing my description of the stabbing breast pain and buring sensation traveling up my boob along with looking at my poor nipples, she did prescribe me diflucan. Only two tablets though, one today and one a week from now. Is this common? I was under the impression that it would be a several day course or something. Can't say if there is improvement yet since I just took the first one a few hours ago but it sounded as if she was out of ideas. She said she was all for breastfeeding but that I need to consider quality of life.. I said I didn't know how long I could hang in there but I'm not ready to give up yet. I'm worried the diflucan will not work.

I've been cleansing my nipples with vinegar water, using nystatin on both me and the baby, boiling bottles and pacifiers. I am using vinegar in the laundry too. I am afraid to use gentian violet because I'm concerned about it's safety. I've read that it is a carcinogen. what do you think? Anyone with advice?

by the way my baby is 7 weeks old I had pain since birth and ended up with cracked and bleeding nipples. I worked on latch multiple times with multiple lactation experts and while his latch has greatly improved, the pain has not.. that coupled with the fact that he is gaining excellent weight and my symptoms.. I"m pretty sure it's thrush but I could be wrong.

Default Re: Need to kick thrush for good! is Gentian violet reallys safe?

I've used gv for 30+ days.

I recommend looking up the guideslines for it on drjacknewman.com. It's under candida protocol.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

I had thrush really bad that the thought of breast feeding had me in tears. The pain shot through to my back. My daughter also had a bad latch plus a smaller mouth. It was aweful! but you will get through this.
    My midwife prescribed me the All purpose nipple ointment. When I wasn't putting that on, I put the gentian violet on. My daughter took her meds. I also took a probiotic (and still do) and took 2 capsules of grapefruit seed extract. I followed Jack Newman's site pretty closely (again my midwife was also familiar with him) and it worked great. also, you don't need to wipe off the creams from your nipples before your LO eats. the pharma will tell you to, but Dr. Jack said it's not necessary. I know I didn't.

It was sooo much extra work to do all that AND breast feed but after 48 hours the pain was substantially less and after 5 days it was almost gone, but I stuck to the routine until the end (10 days?). GOod luck!

http://www.drjacknewman.com/help/Candida-Protocol.asp

http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=...tion&Itemid=17

Oh! Also, just FYI. My daughter had NO symptoms whatsoever. No white patches in her mouth, but she was treated (I was able to get the prescription over the phone from her nurse/doc just by saying that I was prescribed meds for thrush). My daughter took oral nystatin - and I think it was 3-4 times/ day. I would rub it all in her mouth and since it was sugar based, she seemed to like it. Again, she had no symptoms. My cream was after every breastfeeding. and I think the gentian violet was once or twice a day on the nipples.

If you don't treat your LO and yourself at the same time, you just pass it back and forth and from breast to breast.

The pain you describe is the same pain I had. It only got worse until we were both treated properly. You can keep breastfeeding, be determined. I had to use the artificial nipple shields that went over my breasts because the pain was so terrible. (just be cautious because her latch got even sloppier since it didn't matter as much with the shields - use them sparingly. She also would only take one of my breasts with a shield even after we were done because she got used to it. it took a few weeks to get her off of it). I tell people that at one point I would have rather gone through birth (drug-free!) again because I knew there was an end in site than to breastfeed at that time because I thought the pain would never end. I never cried like I did when I had thrush.

Insist on getting the right treatment.
    Last edited by @llli*irishbfmama; February 10th, 2011 at 11:08 PM. Reason: latching with nipple shield - be cautious