Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Oversupply to low supply?

Default Oversupply to low supply?

Ugh. That's exactly how I am feeling! I have gone from having a very abundant oversupply to what seems to be a very low supply, in only a few days. I used to feel engorged when my son (8.5 weeks) went more than a couple of hours between feedings. Now his feedings are taking forever and my breasts feel empty all the time. His wet diapers are still very high, but his BM's have dropped from every feeding to maybe 2 or 3 per day (large).

I'm not concerned that my supply is so low that he isn't getting enough, I am more frustrated because I am trying to build a freezer supply and now there is no milk left over after feedings for me to pump! I got only a few drops on the left breast after his last feeding (I used to get 2oz after a feeding). I am pumping the right side now but only a little because I'm afraid there won't be enough left for him at his next feeding. I have to be away from him for 6 hours on Saturday and only have 4 ounces stored...help!

Side note: Rider eats off of one breast only per feeding because of a consistant foremilk/hindmilk imbalance problem that was leaving his bm's very green and frothy. I had to block feed b/c of OALD. Since switching to one side per feeding and letting him drain it completely he has switched to yellow/orange bm's. Did the block feeding do too good of a job???

I miss my oversupply! Feedings were so quick, now they take forever!! I am talking over an hour! And sometimes I have to offer the other breast because he drains the first one and clearly wants more. Blah. Not sure if anyone has any advice on how to get a quick supply with only a day and a half in which to build it! I wouldn't be comfortable leaving him with anything less than 12oz because he usually takes 3.5-4oz per feeding when it comes from a bottle, sometimes more!

As always, thanks in advance!

Default Re: Oversupply to low supply?

I know it's weird when all of a sudden you go from feeling "full" to feeling "empty," and it can be hard to believe that the new normal is normal. The best way to judge is to keep track of diaper output. Since your baby's diaper output is fine (reference), you don't need to worry about your supply. However, it is probably time to stop block feeding!!!

I don't think there's any way to rebuild an oversupply in just a day and a half. But getting 8 more oz sounds like a reasonable goal. You can pump after every feeding without fearing that you're "stealing" milk from the next session. Your baby will still get fed- it just may take him a little longer than usual to get a full meal. Which means you'll be doing some hard work in the next 24-48 hours!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"