Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Another question about pumping for stash

Default Another question about pumping for stash

I usually pump once a day to save for freezer stash. I usually pump after one of his afternoon feedings but this week he has been cluster feeding/eating for 3.5 hours in the evening (today in the morning). He will be 3 weeks old on saturday, so i think it is just normal for age but I was wondering if it was because of my pumping? I'm I hurting his supply by pumping? Do I need to pump everyday so that my supply doesn't suffer or is it ok to skip sometimes since its technically an extra feeding not in place of one?

Default Re: Another question about pumping for stash

normal for the age

pumping will not hurt your supply. the extra stimulation for your breasts will actually tell them to make more milk. it's perfectly okay to sometimes skip pumping for a day, as long as baby is nursing effectively and often (and it sounds like yours is ).

i liked to pump first thing in the morning after DS nursed because that's when my breasts were the fullest and i could store up milk more quickly.
    JoEllen married to Jason 10-29-2005.

Mama to Logan 12-26-2007
    Breastfed for 2 years and weaned on his own terms

Our Lincoln 6-11-2011 to 9-12-2011
    my homebirthed-water baby, who was born with a broken heart

And our special blessing, Leonidas 9-5-2012. A toddler who loves his "boops!"

Come visit our blog here!

agree, I think one pumping session at this age cant hurt
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

Hurting his supply? I doubt at this age you are hurting supply by pumping, I would think you are increasing it! Usually women wait until supply and relationship is established before pumping because it could create more milk! But if you are doing it for stash, I think that is fine.

It sounds like he is doing what he needs to in order to increase your supply even more due to a growth spurt, and I'm guessing he will slow down his cluster feeds after a few days.

Keep up the good work, Mama!