Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sweating

Default Sweating

Hi there everyone
    I was wondering if anyone else's LO's sweat while they are nursing? It is only on her head though. I do live in Phoenix and it is warm, but we keep it cool in our home and I don't think that is the issue. Could it be because they do work hard at suckling that that could make them sweat? I'm actually a little concerned about it, I read an article in Parent magazine that said that one of the symptoms of CHF (congestive heart failure) is sweating while nursing. Also, I'm a first time mom and I may be overreacting. She has her 6 mon checkup next week and I'll look into it. I was just curious if happened with anyone else.
    Thanks

Default Re: Sweating

Adeline is what I call a "Sweaty Betty" over the half the times we nurse. She'll wake up with her hair drenched sometimes, and it's always cool here. It happens the most when I'm holding her or she's in her boppy pillow (as opposed to lying down nursing). I think it's just our body heat combined doing it. Nothing to worry about I would think. Parent magazine is awful for sensationalizing things, especially for new moms, IMHO. I think they are like the 20/20 of the baby world.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

marie1965 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Mine's a head sweater, too. I'm always smoothing her hair and blowing on her while she's nursing (now that she's older, she looks up at me and laughs when I do it ) I'd never heard that about CHF

I agree with the pp and think it's just body proximity.

Quote Originally Posted by paint-the-moon View Post
    It happens the most when I'm holding her or she's in her boppy pillow (as opposed to lying down nursing).
    Well that explains a lot for me.
    This is when I notice it the most also. I guess that I shouldn't get all paniky over all the things that I read. You would assume that a "Parenting" magazine would have some good info, but I your right about the 20/20 thing.

BTW, your little one is getting so BIG. Doesn't it go by quickly?

One more question, how do I do the pic w/my username? I've read the threads that tell you how to do it and I can't figure it out. (I'm a little computer stupid )

DJ sweats not only when he eats but also when he sleeps. He's 10months old hasn't been in warm PJ's since he was about 6months old. He slept in a onesie all summer long and never put hm to sleep in PJs with feet. He leaves a sweat stain in his pillow every night! I think it's normal. As hot as I've been since I had him, as hot as I get while feeding him, why should it be any different for him.

MK sweats like crazy when she nurses, even when it's cold here. I also used to (okay, I'm still guilty ) of head sweating. Skin to skin contact often does that. Consider it the next time you are snuggling with your significant.

Head sweating here, too! It's amazing how quickly she gets so warm when we nurse!

Proud Mother of ThreePrecious Children

Calder Anwyn
    February 21, 2006
    Nursed Until 18 Months
    Ewan Walker
    May 31, 2008
    Nursed Until 15 Months
    Reed Bennett
    February 26, 2011
    Off to a beautiful start...!

my kayla sweats also, she's either in a onesie when i nurse her or just a diaper, she also makes me hot and want to sweat, I always keep ice cold water nearby!