Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: unequal amounts when pumping

Default unequal amounts when pumping

I started back work yesterday (boo) and am now pumping while at work. I don't really have a problem but I want to make sure this is okay. My right breast is awesome - I can usually get 4+ oz at each pumping. But my left breast is struggling, lol. I usually get barely 2oz out of it each time. I've tried switching the pump around to see if that made a difference, but it didn't. I'm kind of thinking the pump is wearing out (I got it from a friend and its sevearl years old now), but its doing great with the right breast. Is it normal to get so much more out of one breast like that??

Default Re: unequal amounts when pumping

Yes, totally normal. Most moms have one breast that produces more than the other. How much more depends on the mom: some will have breasts that have nearly equal production, others will have fairly extreme differences in output.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I get twice as much from my right than my left. I know that it's completely normal, but I wonder if I make the difference more extreme because I instinctively offer the ride side first, so he always finishes that side and not the left I always say that i'm going to be more deliberate in switching sides, but i never remember when it comes time.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Okay thanks! I feel better about it now. When she's nursing, I always alternate which side she starts on. I have to do that because she rarely goes on to the other side. She gets what she needs in 10-15 minutes on one breast. ( :