Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: spits up only after BFing, not after a bottle

Default spits up only after BFing, not after a bottle

I always thought that bottles let the milk come out faster than the breast, but apparently I was wrong. I EBF and I went back to work yesterday, so my LO has been taking bottles during the day and I pump at work. Every time I nurse her when I'm home she spits up. Sometimes its just a little and sometimes its a LOT (I mean, coating me and the bathroom floor!), but she always spits up after the breast. My MIL says she barely spits up at all when she's keeping her and feeding her bottles. Why is that?? I do think I lean towards OALD but I feel like its gotten a lot better recently (LO is 7 weeks). I'm not sure what size nipples we're using, its whatever came in the MEdela set I was given. She seems to really like them, and obviously they're doing well for her. It just makes me sad that she spits up after nursing, makes me feel like my breasts are not good for her (but my milk is). I hope this makes sense, I'm at work and in a rush! (:

Default Re: spits up only after BFing, not after a bottle

Mine does the same. I think it is because when she has the bottle it's just to satisfy hunger so she doesn't take so much in.

but when I am home especially the first feeding after being away she nurses and nurses and kind of tops off - you know what i mean?

We end up with a lot of spit up.

Oh well....
    TW
    <Abigail 9/6/10>

Default Re: spits up only after BFing, not after a bottle

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*wilsonduo97 View Post
    I think it is because when she has the bottle it's just to satisfy hunger so she doesn't take so much in.
    This was my thought exactly!
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012