Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hands-on pumping

Default Hands-on pumping

I was just reading about a study that showed "hands on" pumping -- using hand expression/breast massage while double pumping -- produced a greater volume of milk than double pumping alone.

Anybody tried it?
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Default Re: Hands-on pumping

I did that when I pumped. I think it really did help a lot.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Totally. I propped the horns against the edge of my desk and massaged away. Sometimes it was the only way to get a second letdown.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

All the time. I would do breast compressions while double pumping AND reading my book. It's all in the wrist.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

P.S. It helped me make more milk, and it sped up my sessions, so I'd get more in a shorter period of time.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I have to or I get almost nothing, and the texture of my breasts hardly changes, as in the firmness, even with the biggest horns available. If I don't do it, I get like 2 oz total, but if I do it, I can get 6 oz on one side and 3 on the other.

So I tend to play with my iPod for the first 10-15 minutes and let it get things started and then do compressions with both hands for the second 10-15 minutes, going back and forth between breasts to stimulate letdowns, while reading or something.

I've always been that way, even before all this EPing stuff. I think it's just the consistency of my breasts, and the fact that I just don't let down very well to a pump.

The nice part about the hand's free bra is that I can use both hands more effectively and massage away without worrying about dropping the horn.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    The nice part about the hand's free bra is that I can use both hands more effectively and massage away without worrying about dropping the horn.
    One of the things that makes a hand pump harder for me to use is the fact that I only have one hand free for massage. I think my body is so used to the compressions now that it's hard for me to let down for a pump without them.

You can call me JoMo!

It's the only way I pump. I'm not sure how much I would get out without doing that.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeno View Post
    Totally. I propped the horns against the edge of my desk and massaged away. Sometimes it was the only way to get a second letdown.
    I waaant a second leeeet dooooooooown!

It's all good. Time for my new, bigger shields to arrive in the post already! I'm chomping at the bit for them.

Oh! And yes. I do compressions and massage my breasts all the way through or I don't get a single drop out. Not a smidge. Nadda. :P

Jarred - 12/June/2007 - BF for 3 months - stopped due to medical reasons
    Lilly - 4/May/2010 BF for 8 months - On strike between 1/1/2011 - 29/3/2011 - That's 12 Weeks and 3 days!! It is FINALLY over!
    Together we battle with Cows milk, nuts and soya allergies, but we're making it!
    We , , and too, but we're having problems..
    EPING for 3 months and counting!!

me too
    faster production and more volume if i do compressions at the same time.
    Jenna, momma to Lillian (1/1/11)
    Cosleeping, cloth diapering
    milk donated to date: 3182 ounces