Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Solids or Formula?

Default Solids or Formula?

My little one will be 5 months in 1.5 weeks. I work full time and he is at child care. Until this week I've been sending 4 4 oz (16 oz total) to get him through the 8-9.5 hours that we are apart.

Last Friday and again today (he was home yesterday) after his mid day feed (bottle 3) he's been hungry so they give him another two oz. He's been with his ladies for 2 months and they know how to read their cues. On our drive home, after just finishing a 4 oz bottle I also got the 'feed me NOW' signals.

I had been struggling to pump the 16 oz a day- pumping at work, in the evening after he's asleep, and then in the morning before we leave. Now that he wants closer to 18+ oz I don't think I can keep up. At home he's nursing 4-7 times between 5-7

Our ped suggested cereal at 5 months, and he is showing all of the signs on being ready. I know most ladies on this board wouldn't recommend solids before 6 months, but is it better to go with formula?

If we go with oatmeal, I was going to start with 1 tsp of cereal and 4 tsp of cereal. Then ramp up to 1 tbsp, then 2 tbsp of cereal. At what point do you move to feeding multiple points a day? How quickly do you increase the amount of cereal? When do you start to increase the thickness from a 1:4 ratio?

Default Re: Solids or Formula?

If you can't pump anymore, even by adding in another session or two then I would suggest formula. It has more nutrition than cereal. You also don't have to give cereal as a first food, its mostly starch with iron added and can cause constipation.
    Hi, I'm Faith, a Wife, Mom, Stepmom and SAHM
    I married my best friend Rodney on October 17, 2009
    DS1 Andy Born May 11, 2002
    DS2 Ethan Born May 18, 2009 Nursed 2 years 7 months & 2 days
    DSS1 Benjamin Born September 24, 1989

Personally, I wouldn't do either one. It sounds like you are doing great. Was it just the one time that he acted hungry in the car on the way home or has this been happening regularly? If it is a regular thing, is there any way you could nurse him before you get on the road or pull over to nurse him in the car? Perhaps he needed to burp? If you want to try to pump more, you could always pump in the car on your way to and from work.
    Penthouse

Mama to
    DS1 (9 years old...nursed for 7 months - how I wish this forum had been around back then!)
    DS2 (after nursing for a tad over two years, I *think* we are done )

Good job pumping for your LO! Just my experience, but DS went thru a growth spurt around 5 mos (a little off of the "typical," but since when are babies typical ). I just nursed as much as I could and whenever he cued and within a couple days my supply caught up with the demand. Personally, I wouldn't recommend supplementing at this point with cereal or formula because that could impact your supply permanently. Good luck!
    Mama to
    - born at home on 4/27/10

- born at home 8/30/2012

Yeah I don't think you need to change anything AND I thingk most DCP even if they "think" they can read cues.. don't understand the way breastfeeding works. Even 4oz is on the heavy side of what is needed. 1-1.5 oz for every hour away lands you at less than 16oz. Unless you are away for 12hour shifts?
    Now, a child who has been fed 4oz bottles WILL EAT THEM. But that is because they learn to eat until the bottle is empty. And people who watch babies EXPECT children around this age to EAT MORE because that is what formula fed children do. It's NOT what Breastmilk babies do. Your child does not need half of his 24hour intake in the 8-10hours a day that he is away from you. And he should be taking in between 24-32oz in 24hours. So of your child is acting like he wants to eat more OFTEN than send 4 3oz bottles and one 4oz bottle. And then feed him right when you pick him up.
    And you said he is exhibiting all the signs of readiness to eat. So he is sitting unassisted? And has his pincher grasp?

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    So of your child is acting like he wants to eat more OFTEN than send 4 3oz bottles and one 4oz bottle. And then feed him right when you pick him up.
    And you said he is exhibiting all the signs of readiness to eat. So he is sitting unassisted? And has his pincher grasp?

i made the mistake in the beginning of giving DS too much milk when i was away and of course he would eat it all, but he didn't NEED it. I started doing smaller bottles and having an extra available if he acted like he needed it, and often he didn't.

What worked for me is to nurse immediately before I left and then immediately when I got home so less milk was needed while i was away. I would try to have DH feed him two hours before I got home so he was hungry - not feed a big bottle right before I was expected to get there, because then i'd just be nursing less and having to pump more, which i hated.

You certainly don't need to supplement with ANYTHING if you're able to send 16 ounces and are gone for under ten hours!
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jbean1979 View Post
    You certainly don't need to supplement with ANYTHING if you're able to send 16 ounces and are gone for under ten hours!

16 ounces???!! You're doing great! That's a ton! For the same period of time, I used to leave my (enormous, 25 lbs at 6 months old) 12 ounces, and that was fine. You may be dealing with a growth spurt - if that's the case, try to NURSE more if you can, rather than pumping more. Or he may just be tired and fussy around those times. He may want the comfort of sucking, but not need 4 more ounces of milk, kwim?

Too early for solids, IMHO. Some babies are possibly old enough to start solids right after five months, but those are the ones who are grabbing food off your plate! Most babies aren't ready until a little later, I think. I probably could have waited until Joe was seven or eight months to start, and again, it's not like he was a small baby.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.