Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: too little...whats normal?

Default Re: too little...whats normal?

I guess I can try that. I WAS pumping after feeding for the first 6 weeks but stopped that too, because I was feeling like when DD wanted to eat I was too empty and she'd get mad and end up with a bottle anyway. When I try to pump after feeding I only get a trace of milk, like a few drops to a MAXIMUM of 0.25 oz. So I tried keeping my 5 am pump session on off days, but somehow LO figured out I'm up at that hour and now wants to nurse from 430-530am every day (whether I'm at work or not).

I'm from Portland, OR. BTW.

The pumping after feeding tells your body, "Hey, we need more milk here!" which leads to increased production. That's why it's OK to not get anything. I know it's frustrating to pump and get nothing, but it's doing what it's supposed to -- to signal to make more milk.

And even though it seems like you don't get any more milk if you add in sessions, eventually, your supply comes up to meet those sessions. But it can take a week or so to do that.

Too much water actually DECREASES production. That a lot of water you are drinking!

I would suggest the book "Making More Milk"
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thanks, I love books! I'll get it right away. And I guess I will start pumping all the time again. UGH I really dislike pumping!

Me too. Hated it when I had to pump once in a while. Sucks (ha ha) doing it FT.

The book is LLL approved so you might find it in the store here.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!