Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeling floppy

Red face Feeling floppy

So I saw in another post that one momma is still able to get out 20oz of milk/day at 16 months! Whoa! My DD is 13.5 months and my breasts feel floppy most of the time. She only nurses about 4-5x/day...and sometimes they feel like they're empty, but she always seems to get some milk out. Is that normal? If I try to pump nowadays, I can't get anything out (but I gave up pumping at 12 months). But I really doubt she's getting 20oz a day out of me! Now I feel like my supply may be inadequate Does anyone still get engorged at this stage?
    Gina - SAHM to Sofia Rose born day after Christmas 12/26/09 and Ava Grace born 12/9/2013

Nursed DD1 for 28 months and am now nursing DD2 going on 8 months!

Default Re: Feeling floppy

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*italianprinses View Post
    So I saw in another post that one momma is still able to get out 20oz of milk/day at 16 months! Whoa! My DD is 13.5 months and my breasts feel floppy most of the time. She only nurses about 4-5x/day...and sometimes they feel like they're empty, but she always seems to get some milk out. Is that normal? If I try to pump nowadays, I can't get anything out (but I gave up pumping at 12 months). But I really doubt she's getting 20oz a day out of me! Now I feel like my supply may be inadequate Does anyone still get engorged at this stage?
    I wouldn't worry too much mama. Everyone has milk supplies that vary drastically. Some have so much that they are able to build up a huge freezer stash and donate to milk banks while others struggle to pump enough for the following day. As for me, I can't remember ever feeling engorged after the first couple of months. Your body realizes how much milk it needs to make and adjusts accordingly.
    Penthouse

Mama to
    DS1 (9 years old...nursed for 7 months - how I wish this forum had been around back then!)
    DS2 (after nursing for a tad over two years, I *think* we are done )

I had oversupply in the beginning, and always had a good supply since. But around a year, I stopped feeling "full" unless I went for a LONG time. And now I almost never feel engorged. I can go all day, and into the evening, without nursing, no problem. But when I get together with Joe again, he nurses and I hear him gulping, so I know there's milk!

It's normal to feel less full after a while. Doesn't mean the milk's not there.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*MommyToAC View Post
    Your body realizes how much milk it needs to make and adjusts accordingly.
    this.

i know it's hard to have "blind" faith (literally, b/c it's something you can't see), but your body will make what it needs to make.
    the best food blog you aren't reading

i'm beth, mama to:

lila, 11/6/08, nursed until 2yrs 10 mos, weaned during pregnancy

-and-

max, 2/16/12, my huge new little nursling

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*marinaew View Post
    this.

i know it's hard to have "blind" faith (literally, b/c it's something you can't see), but your body will make what it needs to make.

my DS is 13.5 mos too and I don't feel engorged ever unless he sttn or i don't pump during the day and then he doesn't want to nurse when i get home
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Thanks for the great responses, ladies. Yes, it's hard sometimes to keep that faith that body is doing what body is designed to do. I just love nursing a toddler so much and I hope that we can continue for many more months to come! Hopefully she gets over her cold soon, because right now she's not nursing hardly at all (from all the congestion)...so once again, I was questioning whether my supply can hold up until her cold passes without drying up! Ugh, always something to worry about!
    Gina - SAHM to Sofia Rose born day after Christmas 12/26/09 and Ava Grace born 12/9/2013

just to agree with what everyone else has already said. I've NEVER been engorged or felt full except for in the first few weeks. When my DD was 1 I was surprised that I could go all day without pumping/nursing and not feel the least bit full. But when she nursed, she got plenty of milk
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Lol, I get 20-25 ounces out a day and I feel floppy! Prob because I used to make like 40ish oz a day.

The only reason I know I make about 20 a day is because I still pump at work, but on off days I still feel "empty". So Yes, go with the blind faith sister.
    Kristin

Momma to Benjamin, we recently made it nursing to age 2!!!!

Benjamin born 9-17-09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*wreckgoddess View Post
    Lol, I get 20-25 ounces out a day and I feel floppy! Prob because I used to make like 40ish oz a day.

The only reason I know I make about 20 a day is because I still pump at work, but on off days I still feel "empty". So Yes, go with the blind faith sister.

OH MY! Well, I definitely can't pump that much. Every pump session, it's less than an ounce! Ugh! I haven't pumped in 2 months though. I just started up again because LO is on some sort of strike or she's weaning, I'm not sure
    I'm hoping to do some "power pumping" this week to amp it up. I hope it works! I would love to pump 20oz a day! Wow!