Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help with milk supply problem

Default Help with milk supply problem

Hi there.....I am new to this so bear with me. My son just turned 4 months old and the last couple days my milk has decreased. I have to pump at work 3 days a week and 3 times a day. I don't know if he is going through a growth spurt because he started waking up in the middle of the night for a feeding two days ago. I normally will get 5-5.5 ounces when I pump but the last few times I have only been able to get about 3-3.5 ounces. And when I breastfeed him when I get home he wants to eat off both sides, which he normally only eats off of one. Is this because I am drying up or is he trying to tell my body to make more and it just hasn't caught up yet?? Thank you for your help!!

Default Re: Help with milk supply problem

After you've been nursing for a while, it's normal for supply to decrease so that it meets the baby's demand very exactly, without a lot of extra left over. When that adjustment occurs, it is normal to see the following:
    1. Reduction/cessation of leaking
    2. Reduction/cessation of engorgement and/or feelings of "fullness"
    3. Reduced pump output
    4. Breasts may feel "empty" or "floppy"
    5. Baby may start taking both breasts at a feeding, if he previously only took one

Increased night-waking has many causes, and hunger is only one of them. New developmental milestones, teething, a need to reconnect with mom also cause night-waking.

None of this means you're drying up. Milk supply won't spontaneously vanish as long as you maintain it by nursing on demand and pumping enough when you're at work. Sometimes that means adding in some pump sessions: if you're not getting your usual output with 3 sessions per day, you might want to slip in a few more sessions and see what happens.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Help with milk supply problem

Ok thank you!! That eases my mind!! I will just have to try and pump a little more!!