Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby´s weight too high, only BM and solids, ped recommends weaning, help?

Default Baby´s weight too high, only BM and solids, ped recommends weaning, help?

Hi! I am posting this concern on behalf of a spanish speaking mom, who lives too far away to attend any LLL meetings and is not receiving (in my opinion) good advice from her ped. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

"Hi! I have a 17mo baby, who has always been a bit larger than other babies his age. He was born weighing 8,42 lb (3,820kg). I exclusively BF him until he was 6mo, and then gradually begun feeding him solids, and have not weaned him off the breast yet (nor have I introduced bottles).
    In his 6mo check-up he was already weighing 24,25 lb, and now (17 mo) he weighs 46,3 lb. He was tested for all types of conditions (hipothyroidism, cholesterol, etc.) and all test results came back OK. We saw a pediatric nutricionist and she confirmed that his food plan was perfect as well. He does not eat junk food at all, no salt, tons of fruits and veggies..
    So now my pediatrician says its probably related to my BM, and that I have to wean him (totally or at least partially). I continue to nurse on demand, usually 5 times during the day and 2 at nights. Help!"

Thanks!
    20 meses.. increible!! H!!

Default Re: Baby´s weight too high, only BM and solids, ped recommends weaning, help?

Lo siento my Spanish isn't good enough to respond en espanol. This sounds like a pile of junk to me. I would try to get a new doctor.

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...t-toomuch.html

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Default Re: Baby´s weight too high, only BM and solids, ped recommends weaning, help?

I agree!! thanks for the link!

Please post responses in english as well, I already told her I´m happy to translate for her. She really wanted to hear a professional take on this (LLL leaders), so I told her if she couldn´t contact one by phone, she could still find many of them right here posting with their personal avatars, plus the opinions of many experienced moms.

20 meses.. increible!! H!!

Ok, that sounds like a LOT of weight. My almost 5yo doesn't weigh 40lbs yet. That said...I can say with pretty much confidence in my not-really-an-expert-yet-opinion...I doubt the breastmilk is causing this. I would urge her to find a new pediatrician or an internist and have him screened for metabolic disorders. I can't think of any child weighing that much while consuming a healthy, diverse, and natural diet
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

I find it amazing that no matter the issue, they tell the mom to wean. DD is underweight, and her pedis suggested that we wean and give whole milk. YOur freinds DS is big, and they suggest weaning...as if the breastmilk is mkaing him that big? I mean, that is BIG!!! My 22 month old DD is 21 lbs, my 5yo isnt even 46 lbs. I would venture to guess there is something else going on here with her son . I would get other opinions, seek a pediactric endo as PP suggested. And keep looking for help until the answer is found. If her son eats well balanced food and is that overweight, I would think there is some underlying condition going in.

good luck to her, ((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))) I hate how they make the mommas feel as if the baby's weight, eitehr lack or or too much, is due to breastmilk.
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

I find it amazing that no matter the issue, they tell the mom to wean
    Yup...
    maybe keeping a food diary would help her see that baby is right on track.

Dr sears has some great info on his web site about feeding kids healthy foods.

as long as todder is nursing 3-4 times in 24 hours you don't have to worry about milk subs.

heres a big list of groups that meet in spanish maybe she could call another leader and talk with them.

http://www.llli.org/Lang/Espanol/gruposUSA.html

I personly know this leader and she is nice:
    Lucia 216-797-9993)

Estoy de acuerdo con las otras madres. Él es muy grande para su edad, pero no creo que el destete es la respuesta. Como dijo Dara, si el bebé es demasiado pequeño, los médicos recomiendan el destete. Si el bebé es demasiado grande, se recomienda lo mismo. Una visita a un endocrinólogo es una idea muy buena.

(ETA: I hope "destete" is the right translation for "weaning." If not, please sub the right word in where Google Translator went wrong.)
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Leslie View Post
    Ok, that sounds like a LOT of weight. My almost 5yo doesn't weigh 40lbs yet. That said...I can say with pretty much confidence in my not-really-an-expert-yet-opinion...I doubt the breastmilk is causing this. I would urge her to find a new pediatrician or an internist and have him screened for metabolic disorders. I can't think of any child weighing that much while consuming a healthy, diverse, and natural diet
    Absolutely. Clearly there is some kind of issue here, but I can't imagine it has anything to do with her breastmilk (unless she's superwoman or something). She needs to find another doctor, not only because of the weaning issue, but because this sounds like there is a problem here and her doctor isn't taking it seriously.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

That does seem very large. I find it hard to believe weaning is going to cure it.

I would really press for deeper medical answers.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*flopina View Post
    Hi! I am posting this concern on behalf of a spanish speaking mom, who lives too far away to attend any LLL meetings and is not receiving (in my opinion) good advice from her ped. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

"Hi! I have a 17mo baby, who has always been a bit larger than other babies his age. He was born weighing 8,42 lb (3,820kg). I exclusively BF him until he was 6mo, and then gradually begun feeding him solids, and have not weaned him off the breast yet (nor have I introduced bottles).
    In his 6mo check-up he was already weighing 24,25 lb, and now (17 mo) he weighs 46,3 lb. He was tested for all types of conditions (hipothyroidism, cholesterol, etc.) and all test results came back OK. We saw a pediatric nutricionist and she confirmed that his food plan was perfect as well. He does not eat junk food at all, no salt, tons of fruits and veggies..
    So now my pediatrician says its probably related to my BM, and that I have to wean him (totally or at least partially). I continue to nurse on demand, usually 5 times during the day and 2 at nights. Help!"

Thanks!
    my ds2 has always been larger than others his age too. My doctor is not concerned about him, since he is large in both weight and height. He has always been off the charts tall and heavy. Is her baby tall too? Is he staying in the same percentiles for weight? I would suggest a second doctor's opinion since she has concerns about the first doctor's advice.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.