Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby popping off and writhing/crying

Unhappy Baby popping off and writhing/crying

I have a 6 month old who used to love breastfeeding. In fact, she ate almost every hour on the hour during the day. Suddenly, she's been popping off the breast after eating for a bit, and writhing and crying. Occasionally, she seems to have gas, but as she's always been a gassy kid, I don't know if that would be a new thing. I do have gas drops that I've been trying to give her, but that doesn't seem to help.

When she does this I can't get her back on the breast. She fusses and cries. We go do something else and then she will get hungry and eat again later, sometimes within 15-20 minutes. Unless she's really tired, like before nap time, she is like this all day long. This has been going on for a few days now.

Some possible factors: She's been eating a little bit of solids for three weeks now. She got her shots last Wednesday and this seemed to happen after the shots (they did give her a flu shot also). She just seemed to go through a 6 month growth spurt, eating like crazy, before this happened.

Default Re: Baby popping off and writhing/crying

Maybe the growth spurt is coming to an end. And maybe the crying is because you are trying to get her to stay on. Or maybe she has a bug. I think the time, 15 - 20 minutes is pretty normal. My DD also loves nursing but she only nurses for the same amount, 15-20 minutes. Unless she's tired and then it's longer.

With the solids, are you offering her those before she nurses or not? How much and what kinds of solids are you giving?

Haley is almost 6 mons and she was doing the same thing last week. I took her in for congutivitis and brought this to the docs attention and she said that maybe it was the flow of the milk that was making her cry. Maybe to fast/slow.
    My dd will also start to HIT only my left breast and that was the one that she was doing it with. That is the one that I get less milk from when I pump. I would just sit her up, try and burp her, then offer her the other. She would calm down and take the other. This process would take about 15-20 mins. Because I was courious, I would sqeeze my nipple to see if anything would shoot out and it was slow, so I know that she drained it!

I know my DD does this when my let-down takes a little longer and there isn't a lot of milk coming out prior to the let-down. When my breasts are more full she seems more content. When they feel less full she often fusses prior to let-down. I still have plenty of milk when they feel less full, but I have always had OALD so I think she now just prefers the milk to squirt forcefully down her throat. My DD also fusses if she is tired and I mistake it for hunger and try to feed her. Sometimes she is already full or maybe has a sour tummy and if I try to feed her she gets quite unhappy. It's such a guessing game though. Good luck to you.