Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need Help - Did I mess this up?

Default Need Help - Did I mess this up?

Ariella will be 1 year old on Feb 17th. She's always been a stellar nurser. I pump at work for her bottles, but I've never had a supply issue. I've been having trouble the past 2 weeks, though. Ariella's pediatrician had said that Ariella should be down to 12-16oz total of milk by 1 year, and she should be weaned from bottles to sippy cup. I was trying to go towards that, reduced her BM from 15oz to 12oz while I'm away at work, and she transitioned to the sippy cup without any problem. Shortly after that, Ariella did a 1 day nursing strike, followed by a couple good nursing days, but since then she will only nurse in the early morning. My supply has dropped. She used to nurse twice before work and twice after work, now it's one short session in the morning. I'm trying to work on my supply, but I got sick. I'm pumping and pumping to simply maintain until it comes back, but it's exhausting. I also started drinking mother's milk tea last night. My numbers this morning aren't really much better. 2 pediatricians have told me she's self-weaning. Are my attempts futile? Should I give up and pat myself on the back that we made it to a year? I wanted her to get BM until 2 years or so. I also switched her back from sippys to bottles for slower flow. I hope if I get my supply back that she'll start nursing more again.

Other questions, how much milk should she be getting at the 1 year mark? How much solids? Maybe another problem was reducing her milk and increasing her solids?

Or is she just self-weaning? I'm so confused. I really don't trust her pediatricians. They wanted me to supplement with formula at 4 weeks for no medical reason. I'm afraid that by listening to them about the sippy cup and increased solids that I ruined our nursing relationship. Help please!

Default Re: Need Help - Did I mess this up?

Sounds like you've gotten some pretty poor advice to me, particularly the bit about how much milk a child "should" be drinking. If it ain't broke, why fix it? As far as self-weaning goes, well, your baby could be self-weaning but that doesn't mean you have to throw in the towel and simply accept that. You can continue to offer the breast as much as possible, continue to pump as much as possible- many babies decrease their nursing frequency for a while but then pick back up again.

Other questions, how much milk should she be getting at the 1 year mark? How much solids? Maybe another problem was reducing her milk and increasing her solids?
    It the answer to these questions varies a lot. There are babies who are fully weaned at a year and babies who are still exclusively breastfed. One way to increase milk intake is to decrease solids, and to always offer the breast before offering solid food.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to try to wait it out until I get over being sick. She nursed well this morning (about 4 minutes, which is about double from yesterday morning). She wouldn't nurse last night, but at least no screaming. My supply is still low, but at least it's hanging on. Maybe I'll get it back in a week or so. It's so much harder to BF and work. It was going so well, though. Oh well. Thanks for the advice. I'm going to stick with it until I'm well. Hopefully she'll start nursing more than just in the morning if my supply comes back.

You're definitely right about one thing. Don't trust the Pediatricians. Not when it comes to breastfeeding and almost never when it comes to anything parenting related. And in my opinion, switching to sippy cups is a parenting choice. They look at averages, numbers and their greater good. I just don't see nursing as that cut and dry. But I do think that you can breath a little now that Ariella is a year old. I don't think you need to panic if she's on a strike. I would just keep offering and be sure she is staying hydrated. Pumping is the best way to keep your supply up while she is striking. Trust your instincts mama. You are doing the right thing.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

with PPs. Offer the breast more often, before giving a sippy cup or solids. She may not take it, but she'll know it's available. And that bit about her needing to get a certain amount of milk sounds like ... well, bad advice. Ignore it. A baby who is breastfeeding four times a day after a year doesn't need any milk substitutes (water is fine) although you can give your baby milk if you choose. My baby drinks milk when I'm at work because it's a comfort thing for him. BUT, when I'm home, his choice is mama's milk or water, and he usually goes for the milk.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Thanks for the support. Wanted to update you. She nursed twice this morning, very good sessions both times!! I've been pumping like crazy and started mother's milk tea. I also cut out the milk in the sippy cup, went back to bottles. I also increased her milk and reduced her solids. Finally it's starting to pay off. Also, I'm finally past the worst of being sick. Things are looking up. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ariellasmom View Post
    Thanks for the support. Wanted to update you. She nursed twice this morning, very good sessions both times!! I've been pumping like crazy and started mother's milk tea. I also cut out the milk in the sippy cup, went back to bottles. I also increased her milk and reduced her solids. Finally it's starting to pay off. Also, I'm finally past the worst of being sick. Things are looking up. :-)
    Very glad to hear it!
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn