Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Has anyone's milk suddenly gone away?

Question Has anyone's milk suddenly gone away?

I am worried because the last couple of days when I feed my ds he sucks for 3-4 min. and then starts to cry in frustration. Tries to suck again and the crying restarts after a few sucks. It's as if he wanted more milk and he's not able to get it. This happens on both sides. I don't know what it can be
    I have not eaten anything different, I'm not on any meds. We have started solids (he's almost 7 months old) but he's mainly BF. Hadn't had a problem until the last couple of days. I thought about maybe my milk starting to dry out because when I touch my breasts they don't feel as full as they used to before a feeding. My ds has 5-6 BF sessions per day, so I have not spaced them out or anything.

I am also thinking about calling his ped in case it could be something like an ear infection or I don't know...

Any ideas will be very appreciated.

Thanks!
    Alicia

Default Re: Has anyone's milk suddenly gone away?

I have a few suggestions, so I'll list them out and you can see what you think:

1. Is he teething and in pain maybe?
    2. Are you maybe having problems with your milk letting down? If you don't know, you could always either pump or hand express to check that. Sometimes if you're tense or busy it takes alot longer for a letdown and baby might not like that.

Has this been happening every time you nurse, or just sometimes? Also, make sure you're nursing before LO eats any solids...we try to make sure LO has nursed within an hour before LO gets any solids. Their main source of nutrition needs to continue to be breastmilk or formula for the whole first year, so its important they always nurse first as solids don't have enough nutrition or calories seperately to equal that of breastmilk. I say this, to make sure that LO isn't just filling up on solids and then getting frustrated when he doesn't get a letdown while nursing (if that's the problem), and then getting more solids, with no breastmilk in between.

Also, does your LO nurse at night too? My kids have both been ones who nurse an awful lot...even at night...through the first year. My youngest, 7 mos. has nursed like 7 times already since this morning, and its only 7:45, but I think mine nurse more than some others do at this age.

Thanks Mommy of 2 for your reply.
    So far ds is not teething. I also nurse him first and afterwards offer solid food. My letdown does feel milder than usual, that's also why I became a little worried that my milk might be drying up Ds does nurse at night, he nurses every 3 1/2-4 hrs. and at night he does sleep a little longer, 5 or 6 hrs. before waking up to nurse.
    This has been very sudden so I am puzzled. Last night I did see him scratching his ears so maybe he's coming down with an ear infection. I will take him to the dr. tomorrow.
    I'll also try to increase my water intake, since I have slacked a little on that part. Do you think that might have something to do with it?

Thanks again,

Alicia

Yes, water and fluids can definitely help, but I don't think not drinking enough would be the problem unless you were starting to feel some of the signs of being a little dehydrated or you had really stopped drinking as much as you normally do. Also, soda and caffienated beverages are diaretics, so they would actually cause your body to lose more water than you take in with them, so regular water is the best choice.

If you find out that he's totally healthy, and no ear infection, try boosting your supply by nursing more often. Try offering it every 3 hours or even sooner. He won't eat if he doesn't want to, so it won't hurt him to have you offer it more often. You could also try pumping to increase your supply.

I envy your sleeper, LOL. My 7 mo. old is having a disruption in his sleep cycles and has only been taking 30 min. naps during the day and waking frequently during the night....thankfully, I've been through this before with my oldest, and know it will end...one day.