Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Reluctant to add formula milk...

Default Reluctant to add formula milk...

My baby boy Sven is almost 11 month old. He was breastfed till 5th month and afterwards we started to introduced solid. Now he is eating porridge with vegetable and meat, burgoo, fruits etc, but still breastfeeding in the morning, evening and night time. Though he is not gaining a lot of weight (3.1 kg when he was born and now around 7.6 kg...he is a small Asian guy), he is quite healthy and energetic, busy crawling and studying everything at home.
    Today we went to the health center for a regular body check, and the doctor told us the Sven is not gaining enough weight, and she ask us to add formula milk to his porridge or burgoo (which is prepared with normal milk + expressed mother's milk). And she stated that formula milk is full of nutrition.
    Though the doctor did say it is good to continue with breastfeeding, I am really reluctant to add formula milk to my baby......
    Any advice?

Default Re: Reluctant to add formula milk...

Will he nurse more often? 3x a day is the bare minimum for my kids at that age. And formula is NOT full of nutrients. While it has some, it is mainly empty calories. Your milk is far superior in the amount of nutrients he would be getting per drop.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

yup....

this link talks more about tiny babies and some of it will not apply to a baby that is almost a year old

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns..._increase.html

check out health full fat solids too here:
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/t023600.asp

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/t041300.asp

and how to tell if your baby is getting the food they need
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/T031100.asp

My baby is also 11 months and was 8.2kgs in his last check up(was 3.3kgs during birth but 2.7 when we came home).My doctor says since he was born small it ok to have less weight.We are also Asian.Since he is healthy and gaining all milestones i don't need to worry about his weight.He is in 10th percentile.My dr also suggested to give some healthy fats like avocado and cheese.
    I also Bf him exclusively(No formula) with solid 4 times a day.And I Bf him about 6/7 times in a 24 hr cycle.
    I do give him oatmeal every-now and then and use whole milk for it.
    I think increasing the frequency of Bf might help.

with the advice above. Nursing more often is a great way to get calories into your baby.

Based on the weights you posted, I don't think you're looking at a problem. He was born small, and he continues to be small, but remains on the charts for breastfed babies (see this chart for breastfed baby boys). Also, it sounds like his activity level is great and he's mastering developmental milestones appropriately, which is another sign of a baby who is getting enough. And, as you said- he's a small Asian guy. If you and your baby's papa aren't huge people, you shouldn't expect a huge baby.

The one thing I did notice is that you're feeding your baby porridge or burgoo made with expressed breast milk and regular milk. I presume that the "regular milk" is cow's milk? If so, you might actually want to exchange it for more breastmilk or, if that doesn't work for you, formula. In the US the recommendation is to delay cow's milk until the baby is over a year because it has been linked to anemia. In Europe I believe the recommendation is different, and that cow's milk is considered a safe baby food from 9-10 months on. But when it comes down to basic nutrition, until a year formula is probably a better choice for mixing with cereal because it is closer to breastmilk than cow's milk is. Breastmilk is obviously the first choice!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I totally agree BF is the best option. I am working fulltime now, in the morning before going to working and in the afternoon when I arrive home I BF my baby, and during the night, I am sleeping with him, also BF 3 or 4 times. In the office I express milk once during lunch time. I think I am BFing him as much as I can when I am at home, so maybe I should increase the frequency of expressing milk in the office?
    And is there any disadvange of adding formula to him at this age?

Oh, that's great that you're nursing overnight! Those 3-4 nighttime sessions put your baby's intake on a level with what's recommended for a baby his age. 3-4 nursing sessions probably wouldn't really be enough, but 6-8 probably is.

It's tough to find time to express while at work, but if you have the time, and it's worthwhile to you, I'd slip in another pump session or two. Some moms pump in the car on their way to and from work.

As to whether there's a disadvantage of using formula at 11 months... Well, there are a couple I can think of. First, formula costs money. Second, and far more importantly, it's not as healthy as breastmilk. If your only options are cow's milk vs. formula, I'd choose formula until 12 months. If your options are cow's milk vs. breastmilk vs. formula, I'd choose breastmilk.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"