Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Foremilk issue- i'm sad!

Default Foremilk issue- i'm sad!

So I have been pumping one session a day to try and build up a stash for when I go back to work. My 2nd son ate a lot more from the bottle then he did from me (I think partly from the babysitter overfeeding him) and I needed the stash so I want to be prepared this time.
    I don't think I have oversupply at all but a few times my baby has had a bottle and has been extremely gassy the rest of the evening and dark green poops. I know this is usually a sign of two much foremilk, in my case I think I'm definitely not pumping long enough. I know when I pumped before I would pump at least until I got a second let down, I have only been pumping maybe 10 minute sessions because I get almost 4 oz of milk from each breast in that time.

Now my issue is I have at least twelve 3 oz bags of milk in my freezer that I'm sure are almost all foremilk, should I keep them or throw them out?! My baby is only 2.5 weeks old and I'm going back to work in 3.5 weeks so I have a little time...

Default Re: Foremilk issue- i'm sad!

awe man don't throw them out! They are like liquid gold.

Your baby is young yet! your milk supply will even out.
    Once you go back to work you can feed him the milk you pumped the day before and use that frozen milk as back up.

Default Re: Foremilk issue- i'm sad!

Definitely don't throw them out. They're good for 6 months in the freezer or 12 months in a deep freeze, and if you haven't used them in a bottle by then you can always use them to mix with cereal or other solid food.

If pumping is getting you bottles that are over-rich in foremilk, you could try pumping longer and thoroughly emptying the breast, or you could allow 2 bottles to sit in the fridge. Once the cream has risen to the top of the bottles, skim it from the top of one and add it to the other, and you create a bottle that has more hindmilk. Don't forget to save the "skim" milk for emergencies or for cereal.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"