Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pain!!!

Default Pain!!!

My son is almost one and I'm still breastfeeding
    the problem now is my left breast hurts. There is this searing pain right when he latches on, he's not biting, but I can't figure out what it is. I have been nursing him only on my right side, but the left one becomes engorged making it hurt even more. Any advice?
    My other dilemma is, my son wants me to be a the human binky. I only accommodate because he'll scream waking the entire family up and the older kids need to go to school in the morning. Is cold turkey the only way? He won't take a regular pacifier either.

Frazzled Mom of Three

Default Re: Pain!!!

What you describe makes me think that you may have a nipple blister. Pain from blisters can be particularly intense during latch-on, can co-occur with a plugged duct or engorgement as milk backs up behind the blister, and blisters often coincide with teething, as the baby alters his latch a bit to soothe his sore gums. When you say your baby wants you to be the human binky, that automatically makes me think that teething is the issue.

ETA: I wouldn't wean, because I doubt it will improve things. Imagine trying to manage a cranky, teething baby without being able to fall back on nursing! If you do decide to wean, definitely don't do it cold turkey. That just sets you up for engorgement and misery.
    Last edited by @llli*mommal; February 7th, 2011 at 07:32 PM.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

is the nipple cracked or bleeding? my guess would be blister too.

I had pain like that on one side only that made me think I had a blister too - but it was right before AF came back. Weird.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

yeah I took any breast or nipple pain as a good excuse to slow down and take care of myself
    pain is your body trying to tell you something!

Drink lots of liquids, try and de-stress, cut some things out!