Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby nursing time???

Question Baby nursing time???

My baby boy was 4 weeks early. He was only 5 lbs 8 oz at birth. At 2 months now, he is 10 lbs 10 oz. In the first 5 weeks, nursing would take around 30-50 minutes. However, in the past couple of weeks he would only nurse for 10-15 minutes on one side only. He refused when I offered him the other side. I am concerned he would lose weight continuing on like this. Is this normal or I am worrying for nothing?

Default Re: Baby nursing time???

My DS did the same exact thing. I would just offer the other breast next feeding. Sometimes he nurses off of both sides, sometimes not. I finally stopped worrying when I realized that he's wetting/pooping enough and is gaining weight. If you are worried about weight...take him in for a weight check at the pedi's office.

Congrats on BFing thus far...sounds like you have some super milk if that baby has almost doubled his birthweight already!
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Default Re: Baby nursing time???

Hello and welcome to the forum! Your baby is stronger now and a much more efficient nurser. It's perfectly normal for him to get faster. My daughter was 7 weeks early and wouldn't even nurse in the beginning, and now she can empty a breast in 5 minutes! And she rarely takes the second breast. As long as he is gaining weight well and has plenty of wet and dirty diapers then I would be glad to have more time for other stuff! Check this site out to ease your mind. Good luck!