Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article about formula, solids, breastfeeding, & obesity

Default Re: Article about formula, solids, breastfeeding, & obesity

I wonder what the implication is for babies who are fed breastmilk via a bottle, either FT or PT. We try hard to make it more like EBFing for G and don't make him finish a bottle, but I do know people who essentially forcefeed bottles, no matter what is in there.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Yeah I know people who force feed bottles and never look to their baby for cues. DD received most of my milk via bottle until she was 10 months old and we did very small bottles very frequently just because that was the way she seemed designed (1.5-2.5 oz as often as she wanted it). We never really watched the clock except when she had wt gain issues and we really needed to get the milk in her.

I saw my cousin formula feed her child and it was horrible. It went like this:

"oh my baby is crying. Maybe she needs a bottle"
    cousin's hubby "oh I can get her one. 3 oz?"
    Cousin "maybe 4??"
    bottle mixed up, baby chugs it down in 1 minute flat.

The thing that was hard for both me and my husband to see was that they seemed SO distant from their baby and just out of touch with her communication.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*krystine View Post
    The thing that was hard for both me and my husband to see was that they seemed SO distant from their baby and just out of touch with her communication.
    I think that can happen no matter how you feed your baby.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    I think that can happen no matter how you feed your baby.
    Yes I think you're right. I just have seen so many people give their babies formula and not seem to interact as much but you can ignore your baby while breastfeeding, too. I didn't mean to sound rude about how they were feeding her, either, I know they're both really nice people but both work over 40 hrs week and don't really see their daughter that much.

Oh I didn't think you were being rude, I just think there is a false cause-effect that is created in our minds sometimes. I think people who would naturally tend to be less responsive to their child are probably less likely to breastfeed and more likely to formula feed. Not necessarily that formula feeding leads one to be less responsive to the child.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    Oh I didn't think you were being rude, I just think there is a false cause-effect that is created in our minds sometimes. I think people who would naturally tend to be less responsive to their child are probably less likely to breastfeed and more likely to formula feed. Not necessarily that formula feeding leads one to be less responsive to the child.
    It doesn't help that many of my breastfeeding friends also do a number of very attachment-based things including baby wearing, co-sleeping, talking about feelings, lots of snuggling...and I think it just further cements in my brain "oh yes she is breastfeeding and very connected with her baby" vs. a friend who gave her baby a bottle while he lies on the floor by himself and then in the same breath complains about his recurrent ear infections.