Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article about formula, solids, breastfeeding, & obesity

Default Article about formula, solids, breastfeeding, & obesity

Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Article about formula, solids, breastfeeding, & obesity

You know, when those new studies came out, DD2 had just turned 4 months. I decided that no way was I starting solids before 6 months. It had worked well for DD1 and I saw no reason to change it for DD2. Now she's going to be 6 months on Thursday and the new studies are swinging back.

No one study is going to make me change how I feed my children. I need several, over time, to convince me. Until then, I'm doing what I feel is right.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

I need to quit reading comments underneath those articles. They generally are pretty unintelligent (not saying the posts here but on the sites with the articles). "I feed my child areo (sic) bars" nice.

I did start solids with my child early but that was on the recommendation of a breastfeeding educator RD. I hope to delay them till after 6 months with next baby. I'm hoping the next baby does so much better with nursing.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amysmom View Post
    No one study is going to make me change how I feed my children. I need several, over time, to convince me. Until then, I'm doing what I feel is right.
    I agree- if you base your parenting decisions on the study of the moment, you're going to have to do a lot of shifting back and forth!

I just liked this one because to me it points out- yet again!- the superiority of breastfeeding to formula-feeding.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

*sigh* Yet again, I question the necessity of this study. I don't need some pricey, gov't study to tell me that force-feeding my DD rice cereal at 2 weeks old is probably a bad idea.

To me, it's common sense...if you overfeed your child at a young age (and I would consider any form of complementary food before 6 months overfeeding) you set them up for a lifetime of over eating. I guess that's the beauty of BF on demand.....my DD is able to self-regulate her intake of nourishment. She eats when she's hungry and stops when she's full. Hopefully this is a way of eating that she will carry with her throughout her entire life (with my help to make healthy eating choices as she goes through life).
    Married my best friend 07/19/2008
    Proud mama to Harper Anne born 09/10/2010
    and every moment of motherhood

While it is great to show the benefits of breastfeeding, on the flipside it makes me feel terrible that I'm not EBF right now (not by choice). They like to emphasize the exclusiveness of the breastfeeding, and makes me wonder if my 1.5 bottles a day over 9 pumping sessions is really going to make a difference.

I don't know why they have to make it sound like obesity is a huge risk if your child has anything but breastmilk for six months. I understand it is very important and if I could I would. I'm trying very hard to get my son back on the breast and build a supply to cover more of his needs. I try to bottlefeed how I would breastfeed, and don't give him anything unless he's showing cues. I also plan to introduce solids when he is up to it- whether that means 5 months or 7 months.

Idk this just seems like another article to make people like me feel even more depressed than they already are. I know what I'm doing is helping, but I don't think these articles encourage breastfeeding in the right way as it makes it seem like an "all or nothing" thing. I hope this makes sense. Maybe I'm just feeling overly sensitive.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*katia11 View Post
    Idk this just seems like another article to make people like me feel even more depressed than they already are. I know what I'm doing is helping, but I don't think these articles encourage breastfeeding in the right way as it makes it seem like an "all or nothing" thing. I hope this makes sense. Maybe I'm just feeling overly sensitive.
    I don't think you can take this study, or any other study, personally. Every baby is different, and I think we all know that childhood obesity is the result of a number of different factors (diet, lack of physical activity, genetics, socieo-economic factors, etc.). Who knows, next week there could be some study published that links EBF to childhood obesity.

We all know that BF is not easy, and lots of us have had to rely on other means to provide the nutrition our babies need at one time or another. The most important thing is that you do the best you can for your baby, and you need to be okay with that.
    Married my best friend 07/19/2008
    Proud mama to Harper Anne born 09/10/2010
    and every moment of motherhood

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*katia11 View Post
    It's hard not to take this stuff personally.

As the PP said, we all do the best we can. And formula is not the end of the world! Wish you could see my first, who got a lot of formula in the beginning, when I was struggling with supply. Not even 5 years old, and already starting to read, tall, strong, and healthy... It really isn't "all or nothing."

Now I know who to blame for having to struggle with weight my whole life!

I was FF and started on rice cereal at 4 WEEKS. I was up to meats by 4 months. Which is only amusing when I jokingly tell DD, "By your age, I was eating T-bone steaks!"

Keep on keeping on, mamas.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

When you know better you do better. Mil started solids early too but I think doctors told them to back then. Not sure how a 1 or 2 month would even get anything off a spoon anyways. She said oh they just slurped it down, weird. My husband doesn't have a weight problem but his brother does.