Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Am I doing this right?

Default Am I doing this right?

We're almost to the 2 month mark, and were doing pretty well despite all our challenges. However, about a week ago I started seeing a decrease in diaper output, and she would nurse for 3 to 4 hours and still be screaming hungry! I would try to hand express a little and could barely squeeze out a few drops, so I'm fairly certain my supply started dropping.

After her nursing for several hours, we would give her a bottle of my frozen milk, and she would take a full 4oz before settling down. At first we only had to do this once a day, then gradually we had to do it twice, then three times. I think my production drop-off is due to a combination of things: starting BC, as well as pain from cracked nipples (which are nearly healed now, thank goodness!), and stress from Amee's frequent hospitalizations and surgical procedures (as well as the times unable to nurse due to her anesthesia).

What we're doing: I'm making sure to nurse her for at least two hours before giving any bottles, with about an hour on each breast. I'll then give her the bottle, usually between 3-4 oz, and she usually drains all of it. I try not to let her sleep too long during the day, about two hours per nap before waking her up to nurse again (if she doesn't wake up on her own, which usually she does. Then we repeat. She doesn't need a bottle after every feeding, the last two days it's been about 3 times a day, but so far today she hasn't needed any.

I'm also drinking an herbal tea with Fenugreek and a few other galactogogues (sp?) in it. I'll drink about 4 oz mixed with apple juice for flavor, about 3 times a day. I've been taking the tea for the last 2 days, and I think it's helping more than anything.

So, does what I'm doing sound ok? Are there any suggestions to make this routine a little more effective? Thank you for taking the time to read this!

Oh yeah, she's 7.5 weeks old, 6lbs 12oz. She's now getting 6 to 8 wets a day, and 3 or 4 poopy diapers.

Default Re: Am I doing this right?

sounds like your getting back on track

Have you tried eating oatmeal to help supply? That works for me and I've read about it working for other mamas on these forums.
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

Thank you, Andrea!

oakdryad5, I thought about oatmeal, but I really detest it. I chalk it up to a childhood of being forced to eat it for breakfast alot of mornings... When I wasn't a mornin person and still need at least an hour after waking up to tolerate food. If my supply doesnt balance out soon though, I'll make myself eat it (but it's on my "last resort" list...).

could have been a growth spurt too.

Hmm, I think you're on the right track, but there still seem to be a few things you may be missing. Here's what I would do, in your shoes:
    1. Choose a different kind of BC. If you feel that hormonal BC is impacting your supply, then you don't want to be on it. You can always try it again at a later date.
    2. Pump. Every time you give a bottle, you should be pumping. Use a high-quality pump, and aim to get as much pumped in a day as you use to supplement during a day.
    3. Reduce the amount of supplement you're giving. 3-4 oz is a large amount to supplement with when you're supplementing after a feeding. Aim for 2 oz or less, and be sure to pause the feeding frequently to make sure the baby stays accustomed to the ebb-and-flow rhythm of breastfeeding.
    4. If you're not doing this already, make sure to use the slowest flow bottle nipples you can find.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Lol Andrea, I really didn't need an excuse to have cookies! TY... s off to check ingredients in pantry: I'm not sure about the growth spurt, but I'll keep an eye on that.

Mommal, thank you for your additional suggestions. I'm going to stay with the BC for now, because DH is deploying in another month and a half, and after that I'll be coming off it anyways. Unless my supply takes a humongous drop, that is, and then I'll definitely discontinue. I have been pumping almost every time I supplemented, just forgot to write that in, thanks. I did try to give her less in her bottles, but ended up with a screaming hungry baby, so after having to add more halfway through each feeding I just started giving her 4 oz from the start. A couple times she's left a few ml in the bottom, but often she would completely finish it. If I have to give her another bottle I'll double check those nipples, I'm pretty sure they're the smaller ones, but I'll make sure. Thank you!
    Proud mama to:
    Amethyst, born Dec 15, 2010. 4lbs 15oz at birth, with Esophageal Atresia/Tracheoesophageal Fistula. One major surgery, 14 minor surgeries so far.
    Vyse, born April 17, 2013. 7lbs 3oz at birth, and absolutely perfect.
    Spending alot of time and .

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amees.mom View Post
    Thank you, Andrea!

oakdryad5, I thought about oatmeal, but I really detest it. I chalk it up to a childhood of being forced to eat it for breakfast alot of mornings... When I wasn't a mornin person and still need at least an hour after waking up to tolerate food. If my supply doesnt balance out soon though, I'll make myself eat it (but it's on my "last resort" list...).
    Sorry to hear that. Cookies sound like they might be a good option though! I just started trying the steel cut variety oatmeal (as opposed to instant) in the crockpot and the flavor and texture is waaay better. creamier, more flavorful. might be an option if you get to forcing yourself. with all the stuff i add to it, it might as well be eaten at night for dessert--blueberries, brown sugar, pecans, soymilk, etc. ive added chocolate chips before and that was really good too.
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

Well, after trying for another day, DH and I have decided I'll come off the NuvaRing. My supply seems to be stable, but not quite enough for her and is not increasing. So hopefully without the added estrogen things will increase. I'll continue taking the tea for at least a few days, to make sure things get better.

Thank you all for your wonderfull advice!
    Proud mama to:
    Amethyst, born Dec 15, 2010. 4lbs 15oz at birth, with Esophageal Atresia/Tracheoesophageal Fistula. One major surgery, 14 minor surgeries so far.
    Vyse, born April 17, 2013. 7lbs 3oz at birth, and absolutely perfect.
    Spending alot of time and .