Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help

Default Help

Well, my fears came to be and I'm in trouble. I returned to work eight weeks ago and I am not able to keep up with my 8 mo old's needs. She is on limited solids and two 7 oz bottles a day while I'm at work. I nurse in the morning and again at night and try to pump 4 to 5 times a day. I don't give any bottles on the weekends.

Today I was only able to pump 5 oz which means she will get formula tomorrow.

She gets very frustrated while nursing before bed, frequently pulling off and latching back on. She doesn't seem to be content.

I really don't want to supplement with formula but I also do not have a job that I can pump more than 3x a day and I have a toddler to chase after as well so my pumping is limited to 4 or 5 times total.

I read somewhere that oatmeal may help so I will try it for breakfast, any other suggestions?

Default Re: Help

Hi there!

It is so great that you have expressed milk for dd for this long! You should be very proud of this fact and give yourself a lot of credit. That is hard work! I am so sorry that you are feeling sad about not keeping up with her needs. Maybe I can give you some suggestions once I have a better grasp of what is going on.

Just a few questions about your situation.

First, what kind of pump are you using? Is it new or previously used? This could affect your supply. Also, do you pump both sides at the same time?

How many times does dd nurse in a 24-hour period? Does she nurse at night?

You mentioned pumping 3x at work and 4-5x per day overall. Could you pump first thing in the morning before dd wakes to nurse? Many moms find their milk is more plentiful then.

You mentioned dd being discontented at her bedtime feeding. Has this been a new occurrance, or happening for a while?

Sorry for all the questions, just wanted to clarify!
    Thanks,

Default Re: Help

Also check your pump for loose parts, or parts that need replacing (valves, flapper doobers, etc.)