Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Stressed out and frustrated!

Unhappy Stressed out and frustrated!

Word of warning: I am not sure if this is best suited to be under pumping or under general breastfeeding questions.....

So LO is almost two months old. She has never had anything except for breast milk, and I intend on keeping it that way regardless of how much I want to rip my hair out. Unfortunately, I am not one of those people that loves breast feeding for hours on end like some people. I know a lot of women find it to be this miraculous thing but when I am doing it all day, every day, non-stop, it starts to get a little frustrating. I do feel that breast feeding is very important so of course I am going to continue with it, I just need some advice I guess.

I started introducing bottles to LO (I did not give them to her, boyfriend does or whoever is babysitting does) and she did great with them and still does. She will eat 6-7 ounces at a time during some bottle feedings though. I tried to taking the bottle away after a few sucks, switching the nipples on the bottle, etc. Doesn't change how much she eats. I have talked to the pediatrician and he said that is fine, she is thriving. She has gained weight like a champ and continues to do so, and she has an adequate amount of wet and dirty diapers. So I know she is getting enough milk. I still BF a lot, the bottle is usually saved for sometimes on the weekends or maybe once in the evening when my boyfriend is feeding her so I can have a second to myself.

So here is the problem. During the day, it seems like LO still wants to fall into her cluster feeding routine where she eats every hour. She also seems to like to fall asleep at the breast a LOT. As soon as I move her, she is screaming and crying shoving her hands in her mouth and biting at everything in the vicinity like she hasn't eaten for days. Sometimes I can get a 20 minute nap out of her during the day. Otherwise, I am sitting in the bed nursing her all day. I bought a moby wrap to try to have her attached to me while I am able to do other things, but that hasn't worked out so well. I am home alone with her by myself all day until my boyfriend gets home, and two days out of the week he has class so I am alone with LO from 7 am to 8 pm. It makes for a long and stressful day by myself. So the issue that this has created is I am pretty much unable to pump. I bought a pump and I love it, it works great, but I don't get to use the thing. I am afraid that if I pump while I am home by myself and LO decides to eat, I am screwed unless I decide to give her a bottle by myself. I have mixed feelings about me giving her the bottle. I don't really want her to think that comes from me, and I would like to keep it to just BF with her. Some people have suggested supplementing with formula, but I can't bring myself to do that. The other thing someone suggested is to not give the bottle anymore. Well, that is not an option for me. I have other things I would like to be able to do on occasion and I would like to have the option of having a babysitter here with a decent supply of milk in the fridge/freezer so I know LO will have enough to eat while I am gone. I will be returning to college in the spring and I NEED to be able to have enough milk on hand so LO can be fed while I am away. I also would like to go back to work at some point in my life, which it feels like will not happen, so I need milk for that too.

So when do I find time to pump or how do I do this? I am reading all of these things about increasing milk supply, but I can't seem to make it happen. Just today, I have started pumping every 1-2 hours, intermixed with LO feeding, to try to up the supply. I have my boyfriend as backup to give her a bottle in case she is hungry right after I pump. I feel like I am being completely sucked dry, and the possibility of building up a supply doesn't look good. In two weeks, I have one or two days where I will be out and away from the house for a considerable amount of time (5-6 hours, possibly more) and I have my aunt babysitting LO and I am very worried I will not have enough milk for LO to have while I am away. I currently have three 5-6 oz bags in the freezer and that is all. Everything I pump gets eaten within the day it seems like. What do I do?? I can't do this all day every day feeding deal for the next year, and I would really, REALLY like to have a supply of milk in my freezer. Does anybody have any suggestions??

Default Re: Stressed out and frustrated!

You sound so overwhelmed!

A couple of thoughts:

15oz of milk is more than enough for 5-6 hours away. They eat 1-1.5oz an hour (mine was known to take 2oz, but that's exceptional). You'll pump while you're out and get a lot more milk than you would on a day when you're nursing also.

Your baby isn't eating nonstop because your supply is low, she's eating nonstop because she's an itty bitty baby. Even if she still likes eating hourly at a year old, it will be totally different. They eat super fast and need very little help.

I don't know anyone who loves cluster feeding. It's exhausting. But, it will get better quickly. I don't think trying to increase your supply will make the situation better. Oversupply causes all kinds of problems.

Ok I am still kind of concerned here. I probably will not be able to pump while I am in class and while I am away. That is why I really want to build up a supply now while I can. I don't think LO is eating every hour or two because she has digested the milk, I think it is because she did not get enough to eat to begin with. She fights and kicks and screams at the breast and next to no milk seems to be coming out this last week or two. She ends up falling asleep on me but then wakes up in a fit of rage when she seems to realize she is starving and will start shoving her hands in her mouth. I am miserable and so is she. I don't know what to do.

She may simply be going through a growth spurt.

Also keep in mind that 6-7 oz is a HUGE amt for a breastfed baby to eat, your pedi may not truly be familiar with how to bottle feed a breastfed baby if they think that seems ok. To maintain your supply at this age, when your boyfriend bottle feeds you still need to pump for that missed feeding. When you are out for the day do you pump as well? Your baby is still very young and you may not like to hear this but at two months babies eat all the time, getting out for the day is hard to pull off. It will however get better, baby will be able to go for longer periods between feeds and you will be able to pump regularly, for now don't worry about school in the spring, or having a freezer stash, feed your baby from the tap and your supply will regulate.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ruffianracehorse View Post
    Ok I am still kind of concerned here. I probably will not be able to pump while I am in class and while I am away. That is why I really want to build up a supply now while I can
    As your LO gets older, you'll be able to be gone longer without pumping. Right now though, if you go 6 hours without pumping, you'll be miserable. And, it's bad for your supply.

My LO is 13 months now, and I'm TAing 3 days a week. I'm gone for 6 hours one day, and 3-4 the others. I'm not pumping while I'm out at all. When it's convenient, I hand express a little at home. Mostly, he eats solids while I'm out.

The older your LO gets, the more flexibility you'll have.