Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sick baby (1st time!), doesn't want to nurse

Default Sick baby (1st time!), doesn't want to nurse

DD is 13 months. She just woke up all congested, eyes are teary, no fever though. But she's completely plugged up and doesn't want to nurse. I can't seem to pump out any milk anymore either. So do I continue to pump anyway to make sure I don't completely lose my supply? Or just let it be...
    Poor thing, she's never been sick before, boo! But yay for breastmilk! I wish there was something I could do to help her I can't even pump her some milk!

Anyway, just looking for some advice, thanks ladies!
    Gina - SAHM to Sofia Rose born day after Christmas 12/26/09 and Ava Grace born 12/9/2013

Nursed DD1 for 28 months and am now nursing DD2 going on 8 months!

Default Re: Sick baby (1st time!), doesn't want to nurse

Shoot breastmilk up her nose. It will clear her sinuses long enough for her to be able to breathe and eat at the same time.

Way too lazy for formula

Try also nursing her sitting up. When DS was sick, he had to nurse sitting up... I assumed so his sinus's would drain and he could breath from him nose.
    First baby Thanos Liam born on 12/20/2009... we are and since birth and still going strong!!

Thanks Ladies. Yeah, she only wanted to nurse twice today and not for very long I tried shooting BM and saline mister, but she wouldn't let me get close to her nose. Ugh! I'm hoping maybe it's teeth and not a cold
    But thanks for the suggestions! Hopefully she'll be back to her normal self soon!! Before I lose my supply!!!!!!!!
    Gina - SAHM to Sofia Rose born day after Christmas 12/26/09 and Ava Grace born 12/9/2013

did you try and hand express?
    Sometimes that works.

My ds was sick in nov. when he was 14 months. I nursed him kind of sitting on my lap and the way I got him to nurse was to let him watch the tv.
    Ds 9/09 nursed for 20 months

Dd 12/11 nursing a toddler again

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andrea.wolford View Post
    did you try and hand express?
    Sometimes that works.
    Honestly, I'm not sure I know how I used a pump for 12 months! I'll look up the technique online. So you hand express before nursing to make it easier on baby?

I think hand expression would be mostly for your comfort with her not nursing much. And, you don't have to worry so much about your supply. With a well established supply like you have with a one year old, your supply can go way down when they are sick, then when they feel better and nurse more, it will bounce right back up in a couple of days. Just express for comfort yourself and watch for plugged ducts, but other than that, don't worry about it.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jcdandfamily View Post
    I think hand expression would be mostly for your comfort with her not nursing much. And, you don't have to worry so much about your supply. With a well established supply like you have with a one year old, your supply can go way down when they are sick, then when they feel better and nurse more, it will bounce right back up in a couple of days. Just express for comfort yourself and watch for plugged ducts, but other than that, don't worry about it.
    Thank you!!!! This is what I needed to hear...I've been so worried about it drying up completely! Ahh, now I can breathe a sigh of relief about my supply! Now just have to get DD back to normal

Glad it helped. DS went on strike for 10 days when he was 17 mo (from 10-12 times a day down to 2) and my supply bounced back when it was all said and done. It is nerve wracking, though.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.