Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Alternatives to Cow's Milk??

Default Alternatives to Cow's Milk??

I am wanting to slowly wean my 12-month-old twins. We still bf 4 or 5 times a day but I am back at work part-time and don't really want to pump. I nurse them before I go to work, around 7 am, and when I get home, between 1 and 2 pm. We just had a check-up with our doctor who said their growth has slowed down and if I am going 7 hours without nursing they should drink cow's milk. I'm not into cow's milk (another whole discussion here), and wondering if anyone has some good alternatives. Apparently even at 1 year old babies still need liquid protein and calories?? They eat solids 4 times a day: meat, fish, beans, yogurt, coconut, butter, avo, flax oil, cheese--trying to give them lots of protein and good fats. Considering looking for raw goat's milk or making yogurt smoothies. Any ideas out there?

Default Re: Alternatives to Cow's Milk??

dr sears has some good info on feeding kids at his web site.

We don't drink cows milk here, I figure they have it with lunch at school thats one serving a day and then if they eat breakfast at school thats 2 servings..

They do sometimes have it with cold cereal if hubby feals sorry for them and gets them a jug.

as long as they are nursing 3-4 times in 24 hours you don't need to worry about milk subs. It sounds like they are right on track

As long as there aren't drastic drops in growth, it could just be that lo's often slow down in their growth as they get older. You might try offering solids a couple more times a day and see what happens. It shouldn't matter how they get the fat/calories/protein they need. FWIW, DS doesn't like milk and is a healthly 5 year old who has gone through periods of being chunky and being skinny since weaning at 3 1/2. We do calcium supplements and other dairy.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

Not everyone will agree with me, but I do think that babies (and yes, 12 months is still very much a baby) need milk. The best kind of milk would be human milk, but I would suggest at least offering some kind of other milk if you are weaning. I've heard that goats milk is actually the closest to human milk. That may be a good option.

If the twins are just refusing milk, then you can probably rest assured that they are getting everything they need from other forms of dairy. That's where I am with my 16MO. She refuses milk, so I make sure to give her yogurt and cheese, I also give her calcium fortified orange juice and I give her a calcium vitamin too. I think the thing about milk, is it just makes me know that if they are drinking that, then they are getting calcium, vitamin D protein, fat and hydration all in one.versus trying to give a little here and a little there if that makes sense.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Gotta love the pediatrician, but they dont always know what they are talking about, especially when it cones to breastfeeding! I'll never forget when our pediatrician (who I absolutely love!) asked me how much the babies were nursing and I said 8 times a day at about 2-3 ounces each time. She goes on to tell me that if they are getting over 32 ounces per day they could become anemic. (8 x 3 = 24 ounces, within the recommendations for their age). Then in the next sentence she tells me I should offer them a cup of whole cows milk each day! Because they are already getting too much milk, right?!? I just don't listen to her regarding breastfeeding, I call the lactation consultant if I truly have questions.

Anyway, it doesn't sound like you really need to substitute with any milk if you dont want too. As mentioned previously, 3-4 nursings per day is all they truly need as long as they are happy and gaining weight. The drop off in their weight gain may be related to walking and moving about more. Goats milk is an alternative, but it has a drastically different taste, so you may want to start slow and see if they like it. My daughter is allergic to milk and i was told not to use soy, almond, or rice milk for different reasons by a nutritionist.