Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Ready for solids or not?

Question Ready for solids or not?

Hi llladies!

DS is six months old, and I can't quite tell if he's ready for solids or not, so I thought I'd get ya'll's opinions.

Here are the reasons why I think he might be ready for solids:
    - He sits well on his own (still falls over, but mostly because he lost interest in staying upright or because he wants a toy that's just out of his reach).
    - He's very interested at mealtime. He frequently makes grabs at my or DH's plate, especially at the food that's on the plate (which led to a very interesting situation the night we had soup!).

Reasons I think he might not be ready for solids:
    - He chews on his thumb regularly, but I'm not sure he'd be willing to chew food.
    - I can't tell if he's lost the tongue thrust reflex yet.
    - He still uses a palmer grasp, not a pincer grasp.

If I were to try offering him solids, should I offer purees or small bits? If small bits, how small should the be?

My copy of The Womanly Art is loaned out at the moment, or I'd be consulting it.
    Breastfeeding, babywearing, sci-fi loving, total geek of a mom!

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. — Dr. Seuss

Default Re: Ready for solids or not?

Try offering him food and see what happens?

We did "baby led solids" with our babies (see my signature for link to more info). Very low pressure - offer baby appropriate foods and then baby decides to eat (or not) and what and how much to eat.

If baby isn't ready for solids yet they may "explore" the food but not really eat.

All LO are very different. Both my LO we started *offering* solids around 6 mo. DS1 was interested in exploring but didn't really eat much until he was around 8.5 mo old. DS2 jumped right into eating solids from the beginning.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I don't think it would be a bad thing to at least let him explore with some avocado or sweet potato, something he doesn't have to use the pincer grasp for. At this age, they are starting to get interested in what you are doing.
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

I don't have any avocado or sweet potato on hand, but I did have a banana. I gave him a chunk last night during dinner and he loved it! Well, until he swallowed a bit and then he was all like "WTF?" Mostly he smeared it all over his face, hands, and clothes.

For my next question... how often should I offer him solids? A little bit at every meal? Or only at dinner?

Thanks!

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. — Dr. Seuss

Just mash and smash and leave a glop in front of him in a plastic bowl and let him play with it. he will instinctively put some in his mouth. Offer him this learning opportunity every day when it is most convenient for you.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*froggylogic View Post
    I don't have any avocado or sweet potato on hand, but I did have a banana. I gave him a chunk last night during dinner and he loved it! Well, until he swallowed a bit and then he was all like "WTF?" Mostly he smeared it all over his face, hands, and clothes.
    Awesome! What a great learning experience. Just how kids should start solids.

For my next question... how often should I offer him solids? A little bit at every meal? Or only at dinner?
    At 6 months old I'd offer at dinner time, or during the day if you get bored. One offer per day is enough. As he gets older, you'll probably just naturally find yourself including him at mealtimes, or giving him a handful of cheerios to play with/eat when you need to distract him.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for the responses! I've been away from the computer for a few days and haven't checked up.

DS had his 6 month well baby today, and some things his pedi said about solids have me a little doubtful. She said to give him 3 to 4 tablespoons of baby cereal a day, and that he should have 3 "meals" of solids a day. She also said that all his foods should be pureed to avoid choking.

From what I've read and researched, baby cereal is nutritionally weak, right? She wants him to have it for the iron, but I'm really not sure he needs it. And 3 meals a day seems like a LOT of solid food for 6 month old.

So yeah.

Yeah, your ped's advice would make me , too. I think you can ignore it with absolutely no worries!

That being said, at around 6 months some breastfed babies do benefit from a little additional iron. Some pediatricians do a routine heel stick to test for anemia, and then make recommendations based on the baby's iron level. Others skip the testing and simply recommend cereal for all BFed babies, because iron-fortified cereal is a really easy way to get a baby's levels boosted. (One of the few nutritional virtues of cereal!) I think that's a cop-out, and I personally see no reason why you have to offer cereal, other than ease of use. A lot of moms prefer to offer iron-rich solids like leafy green vegetables, meats, fish, and beans instead.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"