Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Reading her cues

Default Reading her cues

Hi Ladies,

Still can't believe I'm nursing a toddler, never dreamed I would go this long with all the probs we had in the beginning! Anyway, I still have random questions...I think I stress more now than I did in the beginning! Hoping you can shed some light and insight on how to continue nursing my 1 year old.

How does your toddler tell you when they want to nurse? Or is it more scheduled? DD was pretty predictable for awhile...she would nurse upon waking; before naptime; after naptime; and bedtime. Now, she's so active and dropped a few sessions...so in order to keep offering, I'm trying to read her cues. When I offer and she's not ready, she bites me and jumps off my lap. I've been trying to teach her the sign for "milk" for awhile, but no luck just yet. How do you know when your LO is ready for some milk?? I feel silly asking this

...also...from what I read, many of your toddlers are nursing 8+ times a day...what is considered a "nursing session" at this age anyway? Does your LO take both breasts each time? For how long? Or nibbles here and there? Just curious, thanks again!!!
    Gina - SAHM to Sofia Rose born day after Christmas 12/26/09 and Ava Grace born 12/9/2013

Nursed DD1 for 28 months and am now nursing DD2 going on 8 months!

Default Re: Reading her cues

at a year DD was nursing LOTS!! I am not exactly sure but Id say 8 times a day and several times overnight.

Now at 22 months she can also go 8x a day or 4x, and those times can be for 2 minutes or she can want to nurse for an hour! Depending on her mood. Now that she is older she tells me she wants to nurse. She DEMANDS it at times, "Sit momma, sit couch, want babe-er" (dont ask she calls nurisng baber).

I think you can pretty much go with whatever schedule you had before, or just follow her cues. I dont alwyas offer both breasts, I usually offer 1, and if she is on for a while, then I will switch.
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

Default Re: Reading her cues

My 20 month old will climb on my lap, pat my chest, bang his head on my chest...things like that. He'll scoot into his favorite nursing position and smile at me. Sometimes I can get him to say ma which is his word for milk sometimes not.
    Hi, I'm Faith, a Wife, Mom, Stepmom and SAHM
    I married my best friend Rodney on October 17, 2009
    DS1 Andy Born May 11, 2002
    DS2 Ethan Born May 18, 2009 Nursed 2 years 7 months & 2 days
    DSS1 Benjamin Born September 24, 1989