Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All new territory for me!

Default All new territory for me!

Naomi weaned spontaneously two weeks before her 1st birthday. So I never got to this point with her.

So I pump weaned during the day. I'm on campus 2-3 days a week and those days I go in at lunch and nurse Gavin. The other days he gets a bottle of frozen breastmilk. Or will until the freezer stash runs out.

But Im debating whether to use the entire stash or save a couple bags for evenings out. They happen so rare but he nurses to sleep so I figure for evenings out I'll still have to pump when we get home. Right?

He doesn't like cows milk but he'll eat yogurt and cheese no problem. Not necessarily every day though. So how many times a day does he have to nurse in order to not worry about dairy/fats/calcium? Right now he nurses 3-4 times plus either a nurse or bottle at lunch (again though bottles will last another week or two and then be gone).

So strange that I suddenly feel like I don't know what I'm doing anymore!
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

Default Re: All new territory for me!

3-4 x per day is the thought.

As for saving he milk, maybe do it for nights out but I've found that when I wasn't there after one, Max was less concerned with bm and just wanted to be rocked etc.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenna562 View Post

As for saving he milk, maybe do it for nights out but I've found that when I wasn't there after one, Max was less concerned with bm and just wanted to be rocked etc.
    I went back to school after my DD turned 1 and some nights I didn't get back until after 10pm. She was either sleeping or waiting up for me when I got home. I didn't bother pumping ever after pump weaning. I wasn't uncomfortable either.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Ok good he definitely hasn't done less than 3 in a day.

Maybe I should plan an evening out just to see how it goes. It's as good an excuse as any!
    Amanda

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

you should! You're doing what's best for him after all!
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Yep, I totally agree. I had a pretty decent freezer stash when I pump weaned too, and I decided to just go ahead and use it all up. I hated the thought of saving some for an unknown length of time, and then letting it go to waste by not ending up using it. And my kids will go to sleep for other people just by rocking, so I wouldn't even worry about saving any for a possible night out. If you're just going to be out for a few hours, he can just drink water during that time and he should be just fine.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    Congrats Amanda!
    Thank you!!
    Amanda

I've found that when I wasn't there after one, Max was less concerned with bm and just wanted to be rocked etc.
    Nora was the same way. Didn't really want milk unless she was nursing.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Congrats on making it a year Amanda!
    I'm Anna
    Proud mama to my 2 little high needs "koala bears":

Ethan born 8/23/08
    Bfed for 22 months, weaned with love 7/2010

Lucas, born 1/6/11
    Nursing strong for 19 MONTHS!

Cloth diapering 1 full-time even though I'm constantly ! Currently in potty training mode. We also and

Congratulations!

Yes - bf 3 or 4 times a day goes a long way towards meeting toddler needs for things like fat & calcium. Kellymom - nutrition for nursing toddler.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)