Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 5 month old eating solids

Default 5 month old eating solids

Hi! I have a 5 month old who is doing really well with solids. He leans towards the spoon and opens his mouth to take the spoon. My concern is how much should I be giving him and how many times a day should I give solids to him? He ate almost 2 jars of food tonight. Also do I continue giving him rice and should I put it in a bottle for him? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm a first time mom and I want to make sure my son is well fed and fed correctly.

Thanks for any advice!

Default Re: 5 month old eating solids

At 5 months old, solids should be for experimenting with new tastes, textures, and motor skills only. They are not nutritionally necessary. In fact, until around the first birthday, breastmilk or formula alone are sufficient to meet a baby's nutritional needs.

Frankly, the amount of solids that you're offering sounds like it's very much on the high side. Many 5 month-olds have yet to even begin taking solid food, and your baby is already eating a very large amount. At 5 months, all that's required is for the baby to try a taste of solids. Think a teaspoon or two per day.

The best reason to go slow is that breastmilk is the healthiest thing any of us ever get to eat. Unlike solids, breastmilk is a complete and balanced diet in one tidy package, and it contains everything your child needs for optimal growth, particularly brain growth. Every time you feed your baby some solids, you replace some breastmilk in his diet. So, why replace the optimal baby food with something that isn't?

One thing you absolutely want to avoid is rice in a bottle. It's a choking hazard, it won't make your baby sleep longer, and rice is pretty much a nutritional wasteland. Pure starch- not the healthiest thing to give your child!

I'm sorry if this sounds critical. It's really not meant to be!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I agree with the previous poster, also I was wondering how your LO's poops are now with all the solids? When I introduced not even a quarter of a jar of solids a day my baby started getting constipated (from pooping every day to once a week). The types of foods and the amount I was giving her had a big effect on her "output". Its gotten better with her age, but it was shocking to me since I wasn't warned about it when I started with solids. The pedi was all gung-ho for me to start solids ASAP but then was zero help once baby was constipated from said solids. This might be something to think about as you start this process.
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    One thing you absolutely want to avoid is rice in a bottle. It's a choking hazard, it won't make your baby sleep longer, and rice is pretty much a nutritional wasteland. Pure starch- not the healthiest thing to give your child!

Sorry if this is nosy, but why are you giving your baby solids at all at five months?? There's no need at all to do that I'm actually not trying to be critical either, but just curious why you think your LO needs solids right now?

Rice cereal is useless other than to maybe introduce your LO to different textures. It has like 15 calories in about six tablespoons or something crazy like that, so that's not going to fill them up. Just take up space momentarily which would better be filled by milk.

I did give my LO rice cereal a couple of times because it's what my ped. told me to do and i trusted her blindly, but it's really just not necessary for any reason. (she/he will tell you iron fortification, but you can give iron in LOTS of ways other than fortified cereal: legumes, spinach, even cheerios!)

I would say if you're eager to start your LO on solids (at six months or so) try with whole foods like avocado and banana.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jbean1979 View Post

Sorry if this is nosy, but why are you giving your baby solids at all at five months?? There's no need at all to do that I'm actually not trying to be critical either, but just curious why you think your LO needs solids right now?

Rice cereal is useless other than to maybe introduce your LO to different textures. It has like 15 calories in about six tablespoons or something crazy like that, so that's not going to fill them up. Just take up space momentarily which would better be filled by milk.

I did give my LO rice cereal a couple of times because it's what my ped. told me to do and i trusted her blindly, but it's really just not necessary for any reason. (she/he will tell you iron fortification, but you can give iron in LOTS of ways other than fortified cereal: legumes, spinach, even cheerios!)

I would say if you're eager to start your LO on solids (at six months or so) try with whole foods like avocado and banana.
    I totally agree with you, and I know you're not asking me, but as soon as my baby turned 4 months EVERYONE was pushing solids...mom, dad, mominlaw, dad in law, pedi, books i had, friends, other family, grannies in the supermarket!!? and almost always the recommendation was rice cereal too. The reasons--she will sleep through the night for you if you give her some cereal before bed. MIL's constant refrain: "Have you tried rice cereal yet?" I was on LLL forums by that time so I didn't ever try it out...I just feel that the norm (not that its correct or the best thing) is for most moms to be surrounded by early solid introduction advice. Ok I'm done ranting.
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog