Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pumping with a newborn questions

Default pumping with a newborn questions

Hi,
    My son is almost 2 weeks old and I've been EBF. I need to start pumping so I can have a supply for my husband to feed if I need to go out. I just don't know when and how to start pumping. He's feeding every 2-3 hours around the clock. I tried to pump after a middle of the night feeding but I got practically nothing.
    How do I go about this? I need advice
    Thanks!!

Default Re: pumping with a newborn questions

To build a freezer stash you can do it by pumping after a feeding or if baby is sleeping for a chunk of time. It is low going, you do it oz by oz so what you are experiencing seems normal. Keep in mind that your baby is still very young and I wouldn't recommend introducing a bottle for a few more weeks to avoid nipple confusion. Also if you are out and DH is giving a bottle you have to pump for that missed feeding, taking the pump with you, it's not really more convenient
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

w/ PP about the timing of starting bottles. I will add that for me personally, the best time to pump was always in the morning for two reasons: 1) my son took his best and longest nap in the morning, usually after whichever feeding was 7-9 am, and 2) my supply was highest in the mornings.

I pumped at that extra time 3-4 days out of a week to build up my stash for work. I would always pump during the time my husband was giving him a bottle. If we were out, I would try to pump right after we got home, or right after nursing him after returning. Again, he didn't get a bottle until 4 weeks.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Thank you for the feedback. I pumped 2x last night and this morning after feedings and got about 2 oz. Seems like such a small amount but I guess this is normal at this point?
    Thanks again

Yep seems normal, it's a SLOW process because baby gets most of what they need and your getting the excess.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I would always pump right after my first nursing session of the morning starting at 3 weeks. I would get at most 2 oz. I went back to work at 7 weeks and this little bit was enough to get my stash going and haven't had any problem keeping up, with my growing boy.
    Meghan
    Momma to DD Lilly *Bean* (3) BF'd for 13 wks and DS Cole (10 wks)currently BFing and lovin it!