Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Exclusive pumping, maybe

Default Exclusive pumping, maybe

I have been struggling to get my son to gain weight on breastfeeding alone. We were on 6 oz of supplements and I believed I could wean him off. He has been off the supplements for a week and not gained any weight. I am toying with the idea of exclusively pumping. I was breastfeeding, pumping, and then supplementing every two hours (during the day, nursing twice at overnight) and the thought of continuing that for another 6+ months seems exhausting. My questions... How much do you need to give baby? I've seen on kellymom that breastfed babies need about 25 ounces a day, but if I am unable to pump that amount and need to give formula, would my son still only need 25 oz? Could I still nurse him at night or in the morning, and how would I know how much I should give him in addition to those feeds?

Default Re: Exclusive pumping, maybe

how old is your son? How much does he weigh? What was his birth weight? How many wet and poopy diapers does he have?

One thing I can say is that baby is WAY more effective then any pump, so what you are producing from a pump is NOT accurate of your supply. Your baby nursing will get more milk then any pump ever could.
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

I'm willing to bet you'd regret the choice to EP in the long run, pumping is SOOO much more work than nursing, and it's way less effective and more time consuming. I've been pumping at work for a year and it's so old. But I still LOVE nursing.

The best way to increase your supply is to nurse more frequently - i think EP would more likely lower your supply because 1) you're not emptying your breasts as well and 2)you're not going to to pump as frequently as you can nurse 3)baby at breast says make more milk more effectively than pump at breast.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Oh my. because I know you are stressed.

Mama, EPing is NOT less work. It's MORE work. I live this. And will for at least 9 months, until my baby has his cleft palate repaired and if he will consent to be nursed after that; if not, I will be EPing for at least a year if not two.

And it's AWFUL. I spend LESS time with my baby than I ever have before; he's near me, but I can't hold him as much as I would like to because I'm pumping. I pump, I feed, (sometimes pumping and feeding at the same time, which is really difficult), I clean up, and I do it all over again a couple hours later. Around the clock. The worst are the nights and early mornings, when it's cold and I have to get out of bed to feed and pump instead of nursing overnight. The logistics are far from being more simple than nursing at the breast is in the long run.

It sounds easier, but it's NOT. I can promise you that. I know moms who choose this lifestyle, but IMHO, they lose sight of the forest for the trees and never get to see the full beauty of breastfeeding.

It's an option best exercised when you don't have the choice -- baby who can't nurse because of age or birth defect, although some moms really can't bear the thought of nursing because of sexual assault, etc.

And the pump is not nearly as effective as baby at boosting your supply. I tend to have a severe OS while nursing, and that just hasn't been true this time; I had to start pumping when baby was about 24 hours old, when we found the cleft palate. My milk was much slower coming in, I have no signs of my typical OALD, and while I have an excess of milk, it's not as vast as usual. If I was the average milk producer, EPing would be difficult just because I'd be worried about supply. I'd be super stressed EPing with a low supply because I'd feel like I wasn't getting anything.

How old is baby? How many wets? How many poops? What's his weight like?

What I would do is take a nursing vacation. Get in bed and nurse. If baby needs supplements, do it AFTER nursing; and I'd do my best to avoid supplements. The more supplements baby gets, the less nursing at the breast baby does. Then supply goes down even more. Pump a bit after each nursing to stimulate your body to make more milk, even if you don't get anything. Take some herbs to increase your supply, and eat oatmeal.

Hang in there mama. I would do anything to be in your shoes. It's something you have an excellent chance of fixing.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Given your other thread "Clueless" in the BFing an Infant section, I guess I don't understand what the real issue is. I thought you said that when you supplenented 6 oz of pumped milk instead of formula, his weight stayed the same too?

What is it that appeals to you about pumping/bottle feeding over breastfeeding? Why do you think that would go better? Is it that you don't know how many oz he takes when you BF compared to a bottle? Is it mainly a supply-based worry? I *don't* think going EP will alleviate any potential supply issues. Does the baby prefer the bottle and you think he takes more from it?
    Mom to Taiga born 6/2010

Pocket cloth diapers. Baby led solids. Full-time working mom. I my DH, DD, kitty Dr. Benway, and my working border collie Odin!
    BF for 1 year and she and I still love it !!!!