Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: breast rejection - due to cold?

Default breast rejection - due to cold?

My 9 month old son hasn't ever had any problems with nursing until 2 nights ago. He has had a cold this past week and has had difficulty breathing through his nose since he has been so miserable and congested. Earlier this week, he was nursing just fine except sometimes his nose was too clogged up so he would unlatch to breathe, then latch back on again. Now he won't even try latching. The second he sees my breast he starts to cry, scream, and back away... At first I thought maybe it was because he was too congested, but now I am thinking that he might be weaning himself cold-turkey since he has no desire to nurse. He sucks on his binkie just fine, so that is why I am doubting my original thought. It has now been close to 48 hours that he hasn't nursed and we are getting concerned since he doesn't take a bottle or sippy cup. I would really like to get him nursing again since it is both uncomfortable and inconvenient to pump all the time... Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

He is eating solids just fine, but isn't getting ANY fluids...
    Last edited by @llli*mnhassie; February 3rd, 2011 at 04:37 PM.

Default Re: breast rejection - due to cold?

Hi There,

I read this a few days ago and I still don't have any answer. My child is only 5 months old and I'm not that experienced in BF as she's my first. But my heart goes out to you so I want to make sure to bump up your post and maybe get some more recognition!

I know you posted 4 days ago with it already being 48 hours since your LO latched. Has he tried latching or nursing since? Have things changed?

I really hope they have. I know how stressful it can be. Good luck and hopefully you can get some more answers from more experienced moms!

Thank you so much for your reply... It really is nice to know that people care since it really is a tough thing to deal with.

It has been a week now and still no luck. He still won't even come close to trying. I set up an appt with my OBGYN's nurse practitioner that teaches a breastfeeding class since I figure she might be able to give me some advice on what I can do, but they can't get me in until next Wednesday. I really am starting to think that he just feels too 'grown up' and since he doesn't see us drinking like that, he feels like he shouldn't have to.

We discovered that he will drink from a water bottle (Dasani, Aquafina, etc...) and he decided that sippy cups aren't so bad after all. So at least now we have 2 methods for giving him fluids, but he prefers water. I guess it's better than nothing though since he wouldn't drink ANYTHING last week.

I've been pumping to keep up production, and I've been using that in his cereals. I have been really sore though because pumping makes my nipples dry & raw, which just makes it more uncomfortable the next time I pump. But if I don't pump, I become engorged which is also uncomfortable. Grrr...

I posted this in the 'Breastfeeding Your Infant' forum, but thought I should post it here too just in case there was anyone else that may have had this problem after introducing solids... I started him on solids at 6 months, and he has been fine with everything except for textures. I guess I just thought that maybe it could be because he is getting too used to solids and just doesn't feel the need to nurse. I don't know... I really wish I knew why he was on this nursing strike, and I wish I knew how long it was going to last (if there ever will be an end to it)!

I have been thinking about you while nursing my LO these last couple of days. After reading different things on this site I've had a few ideas.

Have you tried nursing him in the tub (if you have one)?
    Have you tried nursing him while he's sleeping (co-sleeping is probably easiest)? Also, if you aren't co-sleeping, you may want to try that. You can also sleep with the "top down" on the side he's on in case he finds the breast in his sleep. I know that my LO sometimes does that when I fall asleep while she's nursing and then she latches waking me up. 2 things with co-sleeping, you may want a towel or something as you may get milk or spit up on the bed. (I just wash my mattress protector along with my sheets now). And I've found that my daughter can't sleep with too much clothing on or she sweats like none other.

Other things that you can try... maybe this weekend take 24 hours and try as much skin to skin as possible. I know it's cold where I am, but I put an oversized zip-up sweatshirt on over the both of us while I carry her and that seems to help. Carry him as much as possible. I know that's not the easiest, especially if you have things to do. But if you can, spend half the day in bed? I know I tried spending the whole day in bed with my daughter and she fussed to go play in the living room. So do what you can.

That's all I can think of right now. The one the I think will really be the easiest is trying to tease his mouth with your nipple while he's sound asleep. You may try compressing your breast around the areola to help maybe. I used to do that when my daughter was younger because I would get engorged so quickly.

My daughter is really a fussy nurser. She basically only eats while lying down. Sometimes I can get her to latch standing up and swaying, but she pulls off so much that I only do that if I'm out. I know it's frustrating have your child cry and arch away, push you away, and claw at you to get away from your breast as my LO did that A LOT. I finally realized that she really would only eat lying down on the bed. (with no one else in the room). A lot of it is distraction, but there's something else too. It is what it is. I'm just glad she eats.

Oh, and as far as dry raw nipples when you pump, are you using Lanolin (Lansinoh)? Just make sure to clean the pump really well since it's grease. I used to use it ALL the time, now I seem to be fine and have tubes of it lying around. Oh, also, I remember reading somewhere that while you're showering you don't want any soap to touch your nipples - there are special oils on them and simple rinsing with water and patting dry will clean them enough. I know I used to put lanolin on my nipples before going in the shower, and that helped a lot.

that kellymom.com website that the other woman suggested seemed to have some really good tips in it so make sure to check that out too.

Please let me know how things turn out for you! You are in my thoughts and I know with determination you can get through this! I also have read this a lot recently: remember your child RARELY weans himself suddenly, and RARELY weans himself before age 1. So keep trying!