Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Decreased milk production throughout day

Default Decreased milk production throughout day

I have recently returned to work full time and am pumping three times a day at work. I usually pump when I get up each morning and am able to get 4 oz from one breast and then I feed my daughter with the other breast before taking her to daycare. The first time I pump at work I usually get 4 oz from one side and 2 oz from the other side. The second time I pump I only get 2 1/2 to 3 oz from one side and 1 oz from the other side. By the third time I pump I only get 2 oz from one side and 1/2 oz from the other side. Then I feed my daughter as soon as I get home and she seems to eat every hour in the evenings to get full. Does anyone else have this problem of lower milk supply as the day goes on? Is there anything that I can do to increase my milk supply during the day? My daughter is using about 4 - 4oz bags during the day at the babysitters, but I am only able to pump about 12 oz at work. The other 4 oz has to be pumped first thing in the morning. Right now I am able to keep up with her eating, but I'm afraid that if she starts to eat more I won't be able to.

Default Re: Decreased milk production throughout day

Hi there,
    Congratulations for continuing to provide your milk for dd while working!

I have a few more questions for you:

How old is dd?
    Is dd's daycare near home or work?
    How long is she there? (how many hours from drop-off til you arrive)
    Your pump: new or used? what kind?

Answers to your questions.....
    She is 8 weeks.
    Her daycare is about 15 minutes from work.
    She is there from 7:45 until 5:15, so 9 1/2 hours.
    My pump is a new Medela Advanced Pump in Style.

I would appreciate any advice you have. Maybe I'm overreacting and everything is fine, but I really want to be able to continue breastfeeding.

Maybe you could nurse her on your lunch hour? That would be one less bottle she'd need.

Have you tried adding another pumping session? Maybe two shorter ones in the afternoon instead of one longer one?

My son is 9 months old, and I've been sending 4 ounce bottles since I returned to work when he was 3 months old. Don't panic, try to just take things one day at a time.

"In exclusively breastfed babies, milk intake increases quickly during the first few weeks of life, then stays about the same between one and six months (though it likely increases short term during growth spurts). Current breastfeeding research does not indicate that breastmilk intake changes with baby's age or weight between one and six months."
    Source: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html

The reason I asked about daycare arrangements is that some moms are able to fit in a feeding at the daycare right before they leave, lengthening the time before the first bottle is needed.

Have you had dialog with the DCP to ensure that they are reading dd's cues properly? Some moms find it is necessary to discuss the fact that baby may not always be hungry, if they think that maybe the DCP could try giving a little less milk.

Nursing on your lunch hour is a great suggestion! One less bottle needed!

Please forgive my short reply, I am getting ready to go away for a few days. Just didn't want to leave without a reply! I will check back.

I have been reading a lot of other posts and think I have the constant feeding in the evenings figured out. I think that she is cluster feeding because she has started to sleep longer at night. Some nights she goes 6 hours without eating. I think that her eating more is also helping to build my milk supply up. I was able to pump almost 16 oz at work today plus I pumped 4 oz and fed her before I left for work this morning. If she eats before I leave for work she will usually make it 3 hours before her first bottle at the sitters, which usually means one less bottle while she's there. I think that things are working out. Thanks for all the help!!!

Are you my twin? I'm having the same issue - 4.5 mo. daughter - I feed her in the AM around 6:30, and the first pump I can get 3oz (4oz if I'm lucky) off of one or both, then 2oz the next 2 times. I've always been worried about my supply - I always heard about people leaking with an over abundance. That's definitely not me.
    I recently started her on rice cereal in the pm, and cutting out her midnight feedings (I was going loopy w/o sleep) and I wonder myself if that's affecting the supply.
    Didn't mean to turn your question into something all about me - it's just good to know I'm not the only one out there. Good luck.

This was just bumped up. Glad to hear things are better!

To the PP:

Yes, you are right to be concerned about the loss of the midnight feeding and the addtion of solids. These can cause a drop in supply.

Do you think it might work for you to nurse dd in the evening and cut out the solids for now?

What is her sleep schedule? And yours? Could you possibly wake her to nurse before you go to sleep? Some moms find this helps with boosting supply. I can certainly understand needing your sleep, though!

How about some of the above suggestions about timing feedings/leaving for daycare? Any of those might possibly work for you?

I give you working/BF moms a LOT of credit. It can not be easy to do what you do, and your babies are lucky that you are all trying so hard to provide your milk for them!